Senior Fertilizer Chemist
Our client is currently a leading US manufacturer of private label specialty chemicals for the agriculture, turf and ornamental, and industrial cleaning markets. The Company has been successful and grown revenue by serving its customers with product formulation, manufacturing, and packaging. It is poised to continue growth in its core T&O market as well as US row crop and broad acre agriculture market. The Company operates from three facilities: Pipestone, MN; Sylacauga, AL; and San Marcos, CA.
The Senior Fertilizer Chemist is a high-level position within the Product Development team. The successful candidate will have responsibility for and input into a wide variety of areas. The Senior Fertilizer Chemist will lead the company’s efforts in liquid fertilizer technology – including developing new products, improving upon existing products, and evaluating upcoming technologies for their fit. The Senior Fertilizer Chemist will also assist QA/QC Chemists in developing testing methodologies and protocols, and work in collaboration with other chemists on the Product Development team. He/she will also serve as a technical resource for the sales organization and other departments within the company, periodically traveling as needed to help with agronomic meetings, technical assistance, and conference attendance. The Senior Fertilizer Chemist will be the primary fertilizer formulation expert within the Company.
- With input from product development, sales and customers, develop new fertilizer products for sale within customer base.
- Analyze existing product offerings with an eye toward improvement of the Company’s product lineup.
- Understand new and emerging technologies in the market; analyze those technologies for potential fit.
- Work as a collective team with the Product Development group, offering assistance where needed on a wide variety of projects.
- Work with the QA/QC chemists at the production labs to collaborate on proper testing and analysis methods.
- Represent the Company within the industry at relevant conferences, trade shows and other events.
- Stay up to date on industry news, competitive product lines, and pricing trends.
- Serve as the primary fertilizer expert within the company.
- Advanced university degree required. PhD preferred.
- 10+ years’ work experience in plant nutrition formulation/development.
- Familiarity with standard chemistry lab equipment – HPLC, ICP, GC-MS, LUMiSizer, pH Meter, etc.
- Prefer experience with Six Sigma or similar, and Root Cause/Corrective Action
- Highly motivated self-starter. Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Travel and work on the road as required. Travel approximately 20%.