Napa Valley College
Job Number: 2020-00019
Closing Date: 2/9/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Complete job description and application available online at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/napavalley/jobs/2912324/chemistry-instructor
Napa Valley College is seeking an individual with demonstrated instructional skills to join an outstanding team of faculty and instructional administrators to provide high quality programs and services to our district, our community, and most importantly, our students. This position offers the opportunity to participate in developing and implementing the philosophy and curriculum of the Chemistry Department at Napa Valley College.
This full-time, tenure-track faculty position works a 175-day faculty work year, in accordance with the district/faculty agreement, beginning August 2021 (fall semester). Appointments are contingent upon Board approval. Initial salary placement is $59,494-$69,168 annually, with future steps to $97,780. Placement on the salary range is commensurate with education and experience. The college offers a fringe benefit package, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, employee assistance program, and CalSTRS membership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under direction of the Vice President of Academic Affairs, Senior Dean of Arts and Sciences, and chair of the Science and Engineering Division:
• Teach all levels of chemistry;
• Participate in the development and revision of curriculum, program evaluation, and the assessment of student learning outcomes;
• Assist the division chair and dean in program development and other division tasks;
• Participate in professional development activities;
• Maintain current knowledge in the subject-matter area and effective teaching/learning strategies;
• Work cooperatively with other department members, the division chair, the dean, and the vice president to develop and maintain quality instruction; and
• Perform related duties in the Science and Engineering Division, as assigned.
Assignment may include a combination of day, evening, weekend, off-campus classes, and online or other technology-supported instruction. All contract and regular faculty are required to adhere to contractual obligations, meet assigned classes, maintain regular office hours, assist and advise students, participate in division activities and appropriate college committees, including regular faculty meetings of the department and division. Napa Valley College believes in ongoing professional development that assists faculty in improving their teaching skills, providing support to students, and encouraging responsibility within the college community.
• Earned Master's degree in chemistry OR Bachelor's in chemistry or bio-chemistry AND Master's in bio-chemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology, or geochemistry OR the equivalent.
All degrees must be from an accredited institution.
• Demonstrated college-level teaching experience in chemistry; and
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic background of community college students.
Desirable Professional Competencies
• One year of full-time or two years of part-time college teaching experience, preferably at the community college level;
• Experience teaching biochemistry and/or organic chemistry;
• Demonstrated experience in research involving organic chemistry;
• Demonstrated experience in implementing teaching techniques to effectively address the learning needs of students from a variety of cultural, educational, and socioeconomic backgrounds;
• Demonstrated experience in using current technology in the classroom and laboratory;
• Demonstrated experience supporting students inside and outside the classroom;
• Ability to work collaboratively with others; and
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
A. Applicants must complete the online application through GovernmentJobs.com. All elements of the application, including supplemental questions, must be submitted in order for the application to be considered complete.
Internal applicants are still required to submit a complete application for this position. This includes submission of transcripts and all other required application materials.
The District will not accept materials by e-mail, fax, or mail.
SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS: If you are in need of special services or facilities due to a disability in order to apply or interview for this opening, please contact Human Resources.
Napa Valley College, an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, maintains a drug-free workplace and requires that employees abide by that policy.
For more information, contact the Office of Human Resources:
2277 Napa-Vallejo Highway
Napa, CA 94558
For technical support, contact NEOGOV at (855) 524-5627.