Associate Process Scientist
John I. Haas, Inc., the leading supplier of hops and advanced hop products for the brewing industry, is currently seeking a highly talented Associate Process Scientist to join our Innovations team. The successful candidate will serve in a research and development role by planning, designing, and independently conducting experiments and associated research activities directed toward identified, strategic process advances. This is a hands-on position that involves (1) running lab- to pilot-scale experiments/trials, (2) transferring new processes or revised process steps into the manufacturing environment, (3) working to ensure that newly developed or modified processes are performing as designed, and (4) operating collaboratively across different functional areas. The Associate Process Scientist solves problems within the area of hops and hop products, works to identify root causes of inefficiencies, and designs robust processes to positively impact the cost and quality of Haas advanced hop products, as broadly defined. Thus, qualified candidates will be knowledgeable and skilled scientists that are highly motivated and able to apply their talents to the development of new and improved processes within varied areas.
Ideal candidates will possess advanced problem solving skills including the ability to think critically about difficult research challenges, determine the root cause of problems hindering process development, and apply sound scientific strategies to solve them. To be successful, the candidate must thoroughly understand scientific methods of investigation, experimental design, standard research protocols, and be able to collect, analyze, and interpret experimental data.
Excellent communication skills and the ability to work within a diverse research environment comprised of chemists, scientists, and brewers are expected. A track record of developing new industrial processes and seeing them through to implementation in a manufacturing environment is highly desirable.
- Strong work ethic, team player, and self-starter
- Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, biology, food science, or a related scientific field
- One to three years of applicable work experience including chemical process development in a manufacturing setting
- Ability to carry out duties and instructions in a diligent and logical scientific manner with minimal amounts of supervision
- Direct knowledge and experience with process development that is aimed at the introduction of new products into the marketplace
- Ability to perform the physical tasks necessary for the safe operation of pilot plant and laboratory equipment
- Detail oriented, excellent written and oral communication skills, and outstanding interpersonal skills
- Skilled in experimental design, statistical analysis, and data interpretation
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to plan, prioritize, and execute multiple initiatives and meet deadlines
- Flexibility and willingness to work within changing priorities with enthusiasm
This position is located at the John I. Haas Innovations Center in Yakima, WA. Yakima is the hub of hops production in North America. Located in the Pacific Northwest on the east side of the Cascade Mountains, the surrounding area offers numerous recreational opportunities. Seattle, WA and Portland, OR are only a short drive (< 3 hours) away.
John I. Haas, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.