Assistant/Associate Professor Science Education
3 days left
- Job Type
- Full time
St. Cloud State University is currently soliciting applications from qualified candidates for a tenure-track faculty position in Science Education having a start date August 17, 2021. The successful candidate will join a program committed to excellence in teaching and dedicated to preparing the next generation of science educators. The undergraduate science education program is housed within the College of Science and Engineering and includes majors in Life Science, Earth and Space Science, Physics, and Chemistry. The position will be an integral part of the faculty delivering content and preparation of science educators. The position will regularly collaborate with professional education faculty in the School of Education, and other content education faculty for program development. The position will provide leadership and management of licensure requirements to teach Science Education in K-12 schools within the state of Minnesota.
The successful candidate is expected to establish and maintain a professional goal to become an outstanding teacher-scholar through the use of research-based, best-practices pedagogy. They are expected to teach using both in-person and alternative delivery methods such as online and hybrid. They will regularly engage in ongoing professional development and innovation opportunities focused on pedagogical growth.
The successful candidate will share St. Cloud State’s commitment to our mission, and in particular, the value we place in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) as outlined in SCSU’s It’s Time strategic framework. Notably, we uphold the advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion and engage in intentional actions to address systemic inequities throughout the university and surrounding environment. DEI values, practices, and strategies are embedded into the fabric of our institution and campus community, and they align with the priorities expressed in the Minnesota State system’s Equity 2030 initiative. SCSU expects all of its employees to help advance these practices and to contribute to the development of an anti-racist, inclusive community.
Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Inter Faculty Organization.
In order to be considered for tenure, the successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to: 1) teach and/or perform assignment effectively; 2) conduct scholarly achievement or research; 3) continue preparation and study in discipline; 4) contribute to student growth and development; and 5) provide service to the university and community. (IFO Article 22, Section B)
The primary responsibilities include teaching Science Education undergraduate and graduate courses, teaching content methods and pedagogy courses, supervising field experiences including student teaching, advising students in these programs, supporting Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board (PELSB)-related accreditation activities, and managing labs related to teaching responsibilities. In addition faculty will be expected to teach content courses in their related field as needed and assigned.
- Doctoral Degree in Science Education or closely related field (ABD with degree completion by August 17, 2021)
- A minimum of three years contractual experience in 5-12 schools as a science educator
- Content expertise in at least one of the following: Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Space Science, or Biology ; with a minimum of 18 graduate credits in that content area
- Effective communication skills
- Evidence of demonstrated ability to teach and work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds
- Preference will be given to Chemistry or Physics educators
- Teaching experience in Higher Education (2 or 4-year school)
- Supervisory experience of student teachers in a higher education setting
- Experience with PELSB or other external program review processes
- Teaching or other work experience which supports their content area specialty
- Experience with English Language Learners
- Experience with multiple modes of delivery for instruction including co-teaching, senior-to-sophomore, online, hybrid, etc.