- Job Type
- Full time
UICentre is the campus-wide drug discovery initiative at the University of Illinois Chicago that utilizes existing resources to leverage the expertise of scientist and clinician teams across campus in collaborative engagement in translational research in drug discovery and development. The mission of UICentre is transformative: to use cultural, technical and educational resources at UIC to overcome the obstacles to drug discovery. UICentre engages multi-disciplinary teams in a collaborative environment to discover targeted novel therapeutic agents. UICentre creates and supports multidisciplinary collaborations that transform basic science projects into drug discovery initiatives. The goal of UICentre is to change and enhance the treatment and management of human diseases by applying drug discovery skills to leverage basic scientific knowledge, resulting in novel therapeutics.
This position will work with the UICentre leadership and project teams to design, synthesize, and optimize novel chemical entities in support of drug discovery and development. The Research Scientist will manage UICentre chemical laboratories and libraries. The Research Scientist will propose, design, execute/supervise, and communicate the results of experiments to evaluate compounds using highly specialized knowledge of state-of-the-art equipment and methodologies. UICentre is seeking up to 2 FTEs for this position.
- Work within interdisciplinary research teams to design and synthesize drug leads/candidates in support of hit-to-lead and lead -to-candidate objectives. Specifically, will plan and execute multi-step syntheses to generate key target molecules, followed by their purification and chemical characterization.
- Optimize the structures of promising chemical entities to improve their pharmacophores, binding affinities, pharmacokinetics or stability, applying the appropriate computational tools. For compounds entering preclinical animal studies, assist with bulk scale up and formulation decisions.
- Utilize, as appropriate, de novo structure-based design using in silico, computational techniques.
- Attend UICentre meetings and assist with scientific project management as needed. Contribute to team discussions and decisions regarding new concepts for hit-to-lead optimization, structure-activity relationships, ADMET properties and other.
- Organize data for presentations and publications, configure slide decks and present research reports to UICentre team members and other research groups.
- Plan, assign and review the work of research staff and trainees to ensure that objectives and project milestones are met. Hire, train, develop and manage researchers to ensure that a qualified staff exists to meet team objectives.
- Participate in efforts to obtain extramural research funding at the level of Co-Investigator.
- Ph.D. degree in organic or medicinal chemistry or closely related field and a minimum of 3 years of postdoctoral research experience.
- Expert knowledge of organic reaction mechanisms and modern synthetic methodologies to include microwave synthesis, click chemistry, and carbohydrate and peptidomimetic chemistries.
- Extensive hands-on experience with mass spectrometry, UV, IR and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy and HPLC techniques.
- Broad familiarity with various facets of medicinal chemistry, synthetic organic chemistry, natural products chemistry, enzymology, xenobiotic metabolism, chemical biology, structural biology and computational methods.
- Must possess excellent technical and troubleshooting abilities to ensure critical laboratory equipment performance and assay integrity and the ability to adhere to strict protocols in accordance with standard operating protocols.
- Must exhibit competence with various chemical and molecular modeling software as well as general biomedical literature and reference sources.
- Must be able to communicate and participate effectively in team settings.
For full consideration, interested candidates should submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information of three references by February 26, 2021 to:
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of contingent offer employments. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1411899