Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship in Scientific Research
4 days left
- Job Type
We Are Committed to an Inclusive Workplace
At the Philadelphia Museum of Art, we actively seek to employ a diverse group of people who embody our organizational values. We welcome and encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply, especially those from traditionally underrepresented groups in the museum field, who are inspired by our shared purpose and enjoy working collaboratively with others.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.
How You Will Contribute
The Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA) invites applications for a two-year Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship in Scientific Research, which begins September 2021 and ends August 2023. The fellowship will provide the opportunity to gain working knowledge of and proficiency in the scientific research and instrumental analysis of cultural heritage materials within a museum setting. During the first year, the Fellow will be introduced to the workings of the PMA, including those of the curatorial and conservation divisions. The Fellow will be incorporated into the daily activities of the Department and will receive instruction on the proper usage of core analytical instruments (FTIR, Py-GCMS, Raman, SEM-EDS/WDS, and XRF). In the second year, the Fellow will develop original research focused on the PMA’s collections culminating in work of publishable quality.
The Fellow will receive a competitive starting salary and is eligible for full museum benefits, including medical, dental, and vision as well as paid time off. This position also includes a travel stipend for research and/or conferences.
Your background and experience include:
- PhD in the physical sciences granted within the last five years; course work in material science or polymer chemistry helpful
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to plan and execute original research
- Additional education or background in studio art, art history or conservation desirable
- Acute attention to detail and ability to work collaboratively and flexibly
- Strong interest in pursuing a scientific career in a museum setting
Compensation for this position will be discussed during the interview stage of the hiring process. If you have specific questions regarding compensation prior to submitting your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply:
- The deadline to submit applications is March 15, 2021
- Complete application at: https://philamuseum.applytojob.com/apply/QC72FBCtvu/Andrew-W-Mellon-Postdoctoral-Fellowship-In-Scientific-Research
- Please include the following with your application:
- Cover letter with statement of interest
- Curriculum vitae including publication record
- Official undergraduate transcripts
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from professionals familiar with candidate’s work and one personal reference mailed directly to:
Dr. Kate Duffy, Conservation Division
Philadelphia Museum of Art
PO Box 7646
Philadelphia, PA 19101-7646