Radiochemist - Senior R&D Staff
We are seeking a Senior Radiochemist staff member who will focus on the development of radiochemistry programs as well as the performance of a full range of radiochemistry routines for detailed characterizations of nuclear materials for our portfolio of work and projects in the nuclear fuels cycle, production of heavy isotopes, and security of special nuclear materials. This position resides in the Chemical and Isotopic Mass Spectrometry (CIMS) group in the Nuclear Analytical Chemistry (NAC) section in the Chemical Sciences Division (CSD), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, you will be responsible for the elevation and strengthening of the NAC’s radiochemistry programs and capabilities. In this role you will work closely with the Group Leader to identify sponsors and programs to seek out new opportunities, lead the writing of proposals, and the development of laboratory and counting protocols leading to the enhancement and growth of the NAC’s radiochemistry capabilities.
- Participate in the initiation of new research directions and development of research proposals to compete for internal and external funding.
- Development of new radioanalytical methodologies and enhancement of radiocounting instrumentation.
- Maintain effective communications concerning scientific efforts internal and external to the laboratory, including publication of results in peer-reviewed journals and presentation of results at scientific meetings.
- Independently plan, design and execute experiments.
- Collaborate with other scientists and technical personnel in a fast-paced, flexible work environment.
- Participate in the operation of the group’s radioanalytical counters and radiochemistry protocols and analysis of nuclear materials for a variety of programs.
- Utilize Windows based personal computers, instrumentation operation, data reporting, analytical calculations, and sample management.
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health and quality program requirements.
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics.
- A Ph.D. in Radiochemistry, Nuclear Chemistry, or a related discipline with a minimum of 6 years of experience
- Experience as a Principle Investigator for funded projects with a heavy radiochemistry focus.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with modern sample preparation and separation methods used in the isotopic and elemental characterization with emphases on nuclear and chemical materials
- Knowledge and experience with actinide and lanthanide materials, as well as safety considerations for handling them.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory.
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs.
- Maintain training requirements and qualification for ORNL Radiation Worker II.
- Working knowledge of cleanroom operations and protocols.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain an HSPD-12 PIV badge.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.