Biomaterials Scientist (2/3)
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in science and engineering on behalf of national security. The Center for Integrated Nanotechnologies (CINT) is a national user-facility funded by the DOE Office of Science to provide research capabilities in nanoscience to a worldwide community of users. The Materials Physics and Applications Division (MPA-CINT) has an opportunity for an early-career scientist in the Soft, Biological and Composite Nanomaterials (SBCN) Thrust discipline.
As a member of the SBCN Thrust, you will develop and maintain a scientific program investigating self-assembly of nanoscale materials and associated analytical techniques. Your responsibilities will include:
- Spending about half of your time collaborating with external and internal users of CINT
- Engaging the outside scientific community through publications, presentations, peer-review, mentorship and outreach on behalf of CINT
- Contributing broadly to other LANL missions
In addition to the above, your responsibilities will also include:
- Attracting users from a broader (e.g., international) base
- Working with CINT management to steer the scientific evolution of the SBCN thrust moving forward
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering or closely related field
- Demonstrated record of scientific research achievement (through publications, citations and presentations) in the synthesis and self-assembly of biological, bio-derived or biomimetic nanomaterials
- Hands-on research experience with one or more of the following: synthesis of genetic polymers, biological nanomachines or other biologically based nanomaterials; synthetic biology approaches to nanomaterials science; use of biological scaffolds for synthesis/assembly of inorganic nanomaterials; or hierarchical assembly of biomacromolecular or hybrid (biotic/abiotic) building blocks
- Ability to engage and work effectively with a broad and diverse scientific community
Additional Requirements for Scientist 3:
- Nationally recognized expertise in the design, syntheses and assembly of biological or biomimetic nanomaterials
- Success in developing novel ideas and security research funding
- Success in mentorship
- Experience working in a cross-disciplinary, collaborative environment
- Demonstrated success at the multiscale, hierarchical assembly of nanomaterials to realize new, emergent properties such as adaptive color change, self-sealing, etc.
- Ability to obtain DOE Q clearance (usually requires U.S. citizenship)
We Are Delivering Scientific Excellence
Los Alamos National Laboratory is more than a place to work. It is a catalyst for discovery, innovation and achievement. It’s one of the reasons we attract world-class talent who contribute greatly to our outstanding culture. Professional development, work/life balance and a diverse and inclusive team foster lasting career satisfaction. Our onsite cafeterias and medical, fitness and breastfeeding facilities, education assistance and generous compensation and benefits reflect our commitment to providing our people with all they need for personal and professional growth.
Apply now: lanl.jobs, search IRC83837:
Los Alamos National Laboratory is an equal opportunity employer and supports a diverse and inclusive workforce. All employment practices are based on qualification and merit, without regards to race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or preference, marital status or spousal affiliation, physical or mental disability, medical conditions, pregnancy, status as a protected veteran, genetic information, or citizenship within the limits imposed by federal laws and regulations. The Laboratory is also committed to making our workplace accessible to individuals with disabilities and will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, for individuals to participate in the application and hiring process. To request such an accommodation, please send an email to email@example.com or call 1-505-665-4444 option 1.