Formulations Staff Scientist
- Job Type
- Full time
Kinnos is a venture-backed company founded by three Columbia alumni with a mission to protect society from infections. We’ve created an award-winning and patented colorized disinfection technology called Highlight® that is revolutionizing how people use disinfectants. Highlight® is used by first responders and laboratories, has been field-tested in Liberia, Guinea, Haiti, DR Congo, and Uganda for various outbreaks, and is being implemented by leading US hospitals. Kinnos has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, PBS NewsHour, and Forbes 30 Under 30 in Healthcare.
We are looking for a full-time Formulations Staff Scientist to join our team to make significant contributions in developing a game-changing product. If you're truly interested in making an impact in healthcare, aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, and have a knack for detail-oriented work, then we'll hold up our side of the bargain and give you meaningful responsibilities with real deliverables that you can be proud of working on.
The Job’s Mission: Responsible for increasing the quality and performance of Kinnos’ disinfectant technologies and supporting new product applications of Kinnos’ dye chemistry innovations.
Key Activities & Responsibilities:
- Drive the creation and optimization of formulations and emulsions for our full range of products
- Collaborate with external partners to produce formulations at scale
- Analyze and understand quantitative optical and color data (CIELAB scales, UV-Vis spectrophotometry)
- Analyze and troubleshoot product yield and quality issues with CROs and external suppliers
- Work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of identifiable factors leading to root cause
- Regularly communicate timelines and details to supervisors and cross-functional leaders
- Make recommendations for equipment and tools
- Develop and maintain requirements of new and existing product lines
- Build, review, and approve production batch sheets to ensure quality and manufacturability of products
- Organize and schedule external testing for microbiology, preservative, safety, and other critical metrics
- Oversee and mentor junior staff
- Ensure the department maintains compliance in all operations, methods, tooling, processes, work instructions, test equipment, and training
- Interact with raw material vendors and other industry representatives to further expand on the understanding of their products, technologies, and services
- Safely and effectively manage, organize, and operate formulations lab; keep inventory up to date
- 5+ years’ relevant experience in formulations, especially for personal care and surface care; experience with dyes or inks is extremely valuable
- Experience and proven track record of successful delivery of technical projects in an FMCG company
- Background in wipes product development and disinfectants
- Proven knowledge of manufacturing methods, procedures, test processes, and cost reduction techniques
- Understanding of intellectual property, licensing, and competitive intelligence
- Understanding of regulated products under regulatory bodies (EPA, FDA, BPR) and development requirements preferred, especially experience with FDA CFR 820
- Hybrid R&D/Product Development background
- Strong understanding of the product development process from ideation to launch
- Proven project management skills including timeline management and communication
- Strong formulation knowledge and understanding of chemical interactions, especially dye chemistry, surfactants, and emulsions
- Willing to participate in limited travel for scale-up and supplier coordination
- A proactive entrepreneurial mindset and flexibility to contribute and work in a growing company.
- Close involvement with the inner workings of an exciting, early-stage startup!
- Passionate and close team with a healthy work culture
- Competitive salary with opportunities for equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Health, vision, dental, and life insurance
Apply for Formulations Staff Scientist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly