Chemistry Research Scientist
Kinnos is a company with a mission to protect society from infections. We’ve created an award-winning and patented colorized disinfection technology called Highlight® that is revolutionizing how people use disinfectants. Highlight® is used by first responders and laboratories, has been field-tested in Liberia, Guinea, Haiti, DR Congo, and Uganda for various outbreaks, and is being implemented by leading US hospitals. Kinnos has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, PBS NewsHour, and Forbes 30 Under 30 in Healthcare.
We are looking for a full-time Chemistry Research Scientist to join our team to make significant contributions in developing a game-changing product. If you're truly interested in making an impact in healthcare, aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, and have a knack for detail-oriented work, then we'll hold up our side of the bargain and give you meaningful responsibilities with real deliverables that you can be proud of working on.
The Job’s Mission: Responsible for creating the molecules that drive Kinnos’ products. The chemistry group has a uniquely broad scope, operating as a collaborative team to bring molecules from ideas to products that save lives.
Key Activities & Responsibilities:
- Independently design, synthesize, purify, and characterize organic molecules and materials (gram scale)
- Optimize your synthetic methodologies to scale production (tons of dry chromophore mass)
- Use your excellent knowledge of structure/function correlation to tune the performance of a range of chromophores and molecules
- Analyze and understand quantitative optical and color data (CIELAB scales, UV-Vis spectrophotometry)
- Analyze and troubleshoot product yield and quality issues with CROs and external suppliers
- Regularly communicate timelines and details to supervisors and cross-functional leaders; coordinate very closely with formulations department leaders.
- Make recommendations for equipment and tools
- Develop and maintain requirements of new and existing product lines
- Oversee and mentor junior staff
- Ensure the department maintains compliance in all operations, methods, tooling, processes, work instructions, test equipment, and training
- Interact with raw material vendors and other industry representatives to further expand on the understanding of their products, technologies, and services
- Safely and effectively organize and operate our organic chemistry lab.
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with modern organic synthesis, especially dyes, chromophores, and optically active molecules and materials.
- Experience synthesizing and purifying organic salts is particularly valuable
- Expert knowledge of molecular photophysics
- Experience with emulsions, formulations, surface chemistry, and soft materials
- Working knowledge of manufacturing methods, procedures, test processes, and cost reduction techniques
- Understanding of intellectual property, licensing, and competitive intelligence
- Understanding of regulated products under regulatory bodies (EPA, FDA, BPR) and development requirements, especially experience with FDA CFR 820
- Hybrid R&D/Product Development background
- Strong understanding of the product development process from ideation to launch
- Proven project management skills including timeline management and communication
- Willing to participate in limited travel for scale-up and supplier coordination
- A proactive entrepreneurial mindset and flexibility to contribute and work in a growing company.
- Close involvement with the inner workings of an exciting, early-stage startup!
- Passionate and close team with a healthy work culture
- Competitive salary with opportunities for equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Health, vision, dental, and life insurance