Sustainability Strategy Leader
The Sustainability Strategy Leader is responsible for leading Momentive towards our vision of providing Solutions for a Sustainable World by collaborating with stakeholders to develop and execute the strategy, objectives and roadmap for Momentive’s corporate Sustainability program, in support of overall corporate strategy and business goals. As we shift strategically from Sustainability being an element of a department to Sustainability being a foundation for Momentive’s success, this position will play a critical role in training, engagement and communication with internal and external stakeholders to drive alignment and action towards:
- Embedding a Sustainability mindset into our company culture
- Weaving Sustainability into everyday business processes
- Achieving our corporate Sustainability goals
This position will collaborate closely with other leaders in the organization to develop, oversee, direct and execute key aspects of Momentive’s Sustainability policies, programs, practices and goals. The position will require extensive coordination with, and leading through influence, others in Commercial, Manufacturing, Corporate Communications, Procurement, Human Resources, Legal, EHS and other internal and external stakeholders on key initiatives and the communications relating to those initiatives.
Strategy and Execution
- Lead the company’s multi-year, multi-pronged effort to position itself as a leader in Sustainability.
- Manage 2025 corporate Sustainability goals implementation and progress, performance metrics and reporting, sharing of practices, training, external engagements, monitoring and feedback, all while ensuring plan alignment and consistency.
- Collaborate with Manufacturing sites and leadership, EHS, Supply Chain, Technology, Continuous Improvement and other key internal stakeholders to develop a sequenced plan to reduce company-wide energy and water consumption, greenhouse gas emissions, and waste generation and to meet company footprint goals.
- Develop and provide a toolbox and guidance to the manufacturing sites to help identify and deliver on projects to meet corporate sustainability goals.
- Collaborate with Technology/R&D and Commercial/Marketing teams to achieve bold sustainable product innovation goals and partner with sustainable innovation program leader to embed a product sustainability assessment tool into the new product introduction process.
- Develop and integrate standardized tools on sustainability into business processes globally (e.g., capital investment process, continuous improvement process).
- Ensure operating model to implement corporate sustainability goals is implemented across all businesses, sites and functions, developing supportive tools and creating fora for best practice sharing as appropriate.
- Monitors global developments and trends related to environmental, social, governance and product sustainability to ensure that our programs are current and relevant to business needs, competitive with peer organizations, and compliant to government requirements. Communicate trends to businesses and make programmatic recommendations based on analysis of the potential impact to Momentive.
- Assess and benchmark performance relative to customer expectations and industry peers.
- Supports acquisitions/divestitures, portfolio changes, new product development and other business priorities.
- Engage with company executives and senior leaders to increase participation, engagement and support of Momentive’s sustainability efforts.
- Develop and execute a leadership engagement and education strategy and implementation plan to increase awareness and understanding of material Sustainability issues of the Executive Leadership Team and business and functional leaders.
- Work collaboratively with business leaders, engaging to understand business strategy and advising on sustainability opportunities and risks related to our products and markets.
- Partner with business to foster strategic relationships with key customers where Sustainability provides a competitive advantage or right to play
- Develop and lead customer presentations and interactions on Sustainability as a subject matter expert and thought partner.
- Develop and execute an employee engagement strategy and implementation plan to integrate sustainability into our company culture and evolve how our behaviors reflect our Safety and Sustainability Core Value as we mature in this space.
- Develop training programs on Sustainability for employees at all levels of the organization, working with the Learning & Development team.
- Partner with Human Resources to promote inclusion and diversity programs and other employee engagement efforts across the company.
- Evaluate and provide technical support for sustainability initiatives and projects and serve as a subject matter expert at a global level.
- Provide a feedback loop that enables greater sharing of performance, best practices and innovations across the organization, including leading fora for information sharing and creating a global database of Sustainability projects and initiatives.
- Be a champion for recognition of successes and failures related to Sustainability to foster a culture of creativity and risk-taking.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive external and internal Sustainability communications strategy and implementation plan, working with our corporate communications manager, to increase visibility of our corporate sustainability program to customers and the marketplace, and to inspire internal stakeholders to rally towards the company’s sustainability vision and goals.
- Inspire our people by using storytelling skills to bring to life company and business specific examples that connect to Momentive’s sustainability narrative.
- Manage corporate Sustainability editorial calendar for internal and external audiences, in collaboration with Corporate Communications.
- Partner and ensure alignment with Marketing, Corporate Communications and social media teams to sync corporate and commercial narratives.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with external authorities, government agencies, regulatory bodies, industry representatives, customers, professional organizations, and other external parties.
- Lead 2025 corporate Sustainability goals progress and performance reporting, working with corporate communications and the Executive Leadership Team.
- Lead development and delivery of annual Sustainability report strategy and development, including partner and project management, editorial direction and narrative with contributions from relevant businesses and functions, using as a vehicle for leadership engagement and education.
- Collaborate with Procurement, Human Resources, Legal, Supply Chain, EHS, and other key internal stakeholders and key suppliers to develop a plan to continue our improvement of EcoVadis and CDP ratings and GRI alignment.
- Oversee maintenance of Momentive’s Sustainability database (SoFi), including energy, greenhouse gas, waste and water inventory, reporting and reduction programs, including benchmarking and tracking key metrics. Ensure all corporate and site personnel responsible for reporting and analysis are trained.
- Manage third party assurance process.
- Manage relevant vendors and budget.
Travel 10-20% including international trips as needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Regularly required to sit; talk and hear, use hands to type, handle or feel. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. Visual acuity to use a keyboard, prepare and analyze data and figures; transcribing, viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. May require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk, lift, carry and move light to medium weight. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand, and finger dexterity, including the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and learn technical information. Light lifting is required.
The environment for this position is an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field: chemistry, biology, engineering, environmental science or related field required.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in corporate sustainability or ESG, with a minimum of 3 years of experience in the chemical industry.
- Proven track record of successfully leading Sustainability initiatives in the chemical industry and basic chemistry knowledge related to product chemistry.
- Direct experience with EcoVadis, CDP and/or Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) reporting frameworks.
- Practical experience in energy management, environmental and sustainability programs with ability to support manufacturing sites with tools.
- Able to lead by influence across complex, global, multi-functional, matrix organization in virtual environments.
- Engaging written and oral communication skills and presenting style to audiences at all levels of the organization, from shop floor to C-suite, and customers.
- Proven track record in Sustainability communications.
- Proven track record of translating ideas into actions with strong Program/Project Management skills.
- Knowledge and experience with change management strategies.
- Strong strategic thinking, business acumen and customer focus with demonstrated ability to develop strategy, make decisions and execute.
- Resilient, agile and able to lead multiple workstreams under pressure.
- Experience managing external vendors and budgets.
- MS Office Suite (Teams, Powerpoint, Word, Excel, SharePoint) knowledge.
- Availability for early morning or evening calls with colleagues in other time zones as needed.
- Travel 10-20% including international trips as needed.
- Master’s degree in a scientific field: chemistry, biology, engineering, environmental science or related field.
- SoFi Corporate Sustainability Software (Sphera) knowledge.
- Knowledge of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), GaBi LCA software, Science based targets (SBT) and ISO 16128.
- Knowledge of Silicones industry and value chain.
- Experience in a global business or corporation.
- Effective use of social media.
- Strong storytelling skills.