Instructor-Organic Chemistry, Tenure-Track
3 days left
- Job Type
- Full time
Raritan Valley Community College
Instructor-Organic Chemistry, Tenure-Track
Ranked by BestColleges.com and Niche.com as the #1 community college in New Jersey, Raritan Valley Community College has been serving as an academic and cultural center for Somerset and Hunterdon County residents for 50 years. The College has been nationally recognized for its service to the community, environmental stewardship, and commitment to diversity. It is home to a Planetarium, Science Education Institute and 3M Observatory, a 1,000-seat Theatre, an Honors College for high achieving students and much more.
The College offers more than 90 associate degrees and certificates, as well as career training, small business assistance through the Small Business Development Center, professional development, and adult and youth personal enrichment courses. RVCC is located at 118 Lamington Road in Branchburg, NJ. For further information, visit www.raritanval.edu.
Raritan Valley Community College has an anticipated opening of Instructor, Organic Chemistry Tenure-Track in the Science & Engineering Department.
The primary teaching responsibility is Organic Chemistry. Teaching schedules may include day and evening assignments.
Additional responsibilities will include maintaining office hours for student advisement and counseling, participating with other college faculty on academic committees, assisting in the development and assessment of curriculum, participation in ongoing professional development activities, and a willingness to take on leadership responsibilities in the department.
- Commitment to the principles of a learning-centered institution.
- Teach courses at a variety of times and locations in response to institutional needs.
Make continuous efforts to improve the quality of instruction by reviewing, utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques, and delivery methods.
- Demonstrate or be willing to acquire skills for teaching on-line courses.
- Regularly evaluate students to measure their progress in achieving course objectives, and inform them, in a timely manner, of their progress.
- Regularly evaluate courses to ensure that learning outcomes and assessments are appropriate and effective.
- Review, evaluate, and recommend student learning materials.
- Provide access to students through posted office hours, electronic communication and other appropriate methods.
- Assist with departmental strategic planning and outcomes assessment.
- Maintain currency and professional development in technology and pedagogy.
- Participate in College/departmental professional development activities.
- Serve on College-wide committees as assigned.
- Maintain professional relationships with students, colleagues, and community members.
- Work collaboratively in a diverse learning institution: demonstrate commitment to teaching and working with a multi-cultural and multi-generational student body.
- Adhere to all College policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate professional development with discipline.
- Master's Degree in Chemistry required, Ph.D. in Chemistry strongly preferred.
- Two years of teaching experience preferred.
- Graduate coursework or research in the areas of Organic Chemistry, or related fields.
- Recent successful teaching experience in general and organic chemistry.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current chemistry laboratory techniques.
- The ability to make effective classroom presentations and use innovative teaching strategies to enhance student learning.
- Demonstrated cultural competency, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.
- Demonstrated interest and participation in ongoing curricular, pedagogical, and professional development.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in departmental and college service activities.
- Awareness and understanding of community college programs and students.
- Skills and experience to work in a cooperative manner with faculty, students, administrators, staff, and community groups.
Raritan Valley Community College is a vibrant, learning-centered college located in Branchburg, NJ, just a short drive from both New York City and Philadelphia. The College has served the diverse communities of Somerset and Hunterdon counties since 1968 and is known for its small classes, excellent faculty, and a commitment to civic engagement and sustainability. RVCC is a national leader in Service Learning and was the first community college to sign an environmental stewardship agreement with the EPA. The College boasts state-of-the-art laboratory facilities in its newly expanded Science Center, an active and growing Honors College, and a nationally recognized chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. In addition to its rigorous academic programs, RVCC provides students with numerous opportunities for involvement in hands-on research and field projects, as well as clubs and student government. The college's core mission of fostering intellectual curiosity, promoting leadership, and encouraging social responsibility within a diverse population of students and community members make it an exciting and fulfilling place to work.
*First review date is March 21st, 2021
As a New Jersey First Act Employer, new employees must establish a primary residence in New Jersey within one year unless an exemption applies.
Please submit a cover letter, current resume/vita and unofficial transcripts online:
Initial salary and rank will be based on the successful candidate's educational qualifications and professional experience. The College also offers an attractive employee benefits package.
We regret that we are unable to respond individually to each application. Applicants chosen for further consideration will be contacted directly.
Raritan Valley Community College is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Plan Employer. We will implement the policy to assure that the employment opportunities offered at the institution are available to all persons.