Postdoctoral Fellow - Synthetic Chemist
4 days left
- Job Type
- Full time
A postdoctoral position is available for a synthetic chemist / synthetic biochemist to conduct research on novel bioactive derivatives of folic acid and on diagnostic assays for infectious diseases and bacterial toxins. Research will involve chemical and biological synthesis of compounds, microbiology, mass spectrometric methods and protein biochemistry. A preferred candidate should be experienced in synthetic biochemistry or chemistry, microbiology, and molecular biology. Additional knowledge in the fields of immunology, metabolism, and cutting-edge analytical methods is preferred. The trainee will benefit from a close interaction with world-class clinical and basic science faculty and staff, and gain experience in state-of-the-art proteomics, molecular genetics, cell biology, and animal model experimentation.
- Chemical or microbiological synthesis of novel folic acid derivatives.
- Exploration of the metabolic effects of such novel folic acids in biological systems.
- Design, synthesis, and testing of novel substrate molecules for the sensitive detection of Botulinum neurotoxins in biological matrices.
- Development and application of targeted mass spectrometric techniques.
- Application and design of molecular biology approaches, including molecular cloning, expression and purification of recombinant proteins
- Swift publication of results in peer reviewed manuscripts and mandatory progress reports.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- A Ph.D. degree in chemistry/biochemistry, life/biomedical sciences, or another related discipline and have obtained experience in the research areas described above, are encouraged to apply.
- For more information on Dr. Markus Kalkum’s research please visit, here.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.