Principal Scientist, Analytical Research Leader
Position: Principal Scientist, Analytical Research Leader
Reports to: Vice President, Water Resources and Laboratory Operations
Supervises: Professional and Support Analytical Staff
Work Week: Exempt position, full time
Revised: March 15, 2021
Job Location: NCASI Newberry Office and Laboratories in Florida
NCASI is an organization serving the forest products industry as a center of excellence providing unbiased scientific research and technical information necessary to achieve the environmental and sustainability goals of the industry. NCASI has been supported broadly and continually by its members for more than 75 years.
We are seeking an experienced professional to serve as a Principal Scientist, Analytical Research Leader at our Newberry Office and Laboratories. Successful candidates will act as the organization’s primary resource in matters demanding expertise in organic, inorganic, and analytical chemistry, conduct methods development and analytical testing in support of the NCASI Mission, and ensure smooth operation of the NCASI analytical laboratories to meet the analytical needs of our member companies. The laboratories encompass 3,600 square feet and contain state-of-the-art analytical instrumentation and equipment used for aquatic biology studies. Instrumentation includes two Seal AutoAnalyzer3s, one Agilent UV-VIS spectrometer, three Agilent GC/MSs, three Agilent GCs, one Agilent HPLC, one ThermoScientific LC/MS/MS, and two Dionex Ion Chromatographs.
Essential Job Functions
Primary roles of this position are to conduct methods development and complex qualitative and quantitative analytical testing in support of the NCASI Mission and to act as the organization’s primary resource in matters demanding expertise in organic, inorganic, and analytical chemistry. The activities described herein are representative of those required to be successful in this role.
- Develop new quantitative analytical methods of interest to NCASI members and participate in development of research projects to address the needs of NCASI members.
- Implement established quantitative analytical methods and assays using GC-FID, GC-ECD, GC-NPD, GC/MS, HPLC-UV, IC, and LC/MS/MS, both directly and by mentoring support staff.
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot multiple GC, GC/MS, LC/MS/MS, and other instrument systems directly and by instructing and mentoring support staff in these functions.
- Identify technical information needs for NCASI member companies (forest products and allied industries); plan, coordinate, and execute investigative programs; and provide technical assistance (such as analytical method reviews or auditing of contract laboratory data) to member companies and forest products industry-affiliated organizations.
- Prepare timely and original technical reports, journal articles, and other written communications that meet the highest standards of quality.
- Present scientifically sound technical information and research findings at NCASI conferences, webcasts, and other technical meetings.
- Maintain knowledge of current industry issues, technical advances, and sampling/analytical technologies through review of current literature, participation in appropriate professional society conferences, and communication with leading researchers and regulatory personnel.
- Supervise professional and support laboratory staff, ensuring maintenance of laboratory equipment and generation and reporting of high-quality analytical results.
- Ensure development of and adherence to a Laboratory Quality Plan by all staff engaged in analytical work. Ensure that appropriate QA/QC measures and SOPs are in place and periodically updated.
- Manage relations with external advisory panels, as necessary.
- Advise the Vice President on laboratory staffing levels and skills, training needs, job performance, laboratory organization, equipment needs, and other issues as appropriate.
- Read, absorb, process, and communicate complex information.
- Work at the office location or, during special projects, from a field location for extended periods.
- Must be able to get to and work from the Newberry Office and Laboratories.
- Doctoral degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline; or
- Master’s degree in analytical chemistry or closely associated scientific discipline and five or more years of professional experience in analytical chemistry.
- Strong verbal, written communication, data analysis, and statistical skills.
- Strong computer skills with knowledge in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; experience with or ability to learn industry-specific software such as ChemStation and NCASI’s laboratory information management system in a timely manner.
- Valid driver’s license and a driving record insurable at standard rates.
- Must be able to get to and work from the Newberry, Florida, office.
- Must be able to follow all safety procedures and wear safety equipment required at field sampling locations, including those dictated by the facility.
- Must be able to traverse stairs, effectively manipulate analytical glassware and instrumentation, and stand for long periods while working at benchtops or in the field. May be required to lift and carry equipment up to 30 pounds.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Five or more years of experience supervising technical staff with evidence of effective leadership skills.
- Five or more years of professional experience directly involved in pulp and paper industry scientific research and/or technical studies.
- Familiarity with forest products industry environmental topics related to pulping and papermaking process operations.
Provide a CV or resume along with a cover letter describing interest in the position. Contact information for three or more references may be requested. All application materials will be submitted to Karen Phelps (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applicant review will begin on March 30, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
Apply for Principal Scientist, Analytical Research Leader
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly