Associate Scientist, Analytical Development
Do you want to be part of building a fully integrated biopharmaceutical company together with a team of highly skilled colleagues who are passionate about developing best-in-class therapeutics that address significant unmet medical needs? Then Ascendis Pharma is committed to support your personal development on our journey towards becoming a leading rare disease company.
Ascendis Pharma is looking for an experienced Associate Scientist, Analytical Development to join our team. This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly growing, innovative company!
The Associate Scientist will be responsible for conducting laboratory-based analytical development activities to support Ascendis Pharma’s growing pipeline of pre-clinical and clinical programs. Working closely with a team of scientists and engineers in our brand new Redwood Shores laboratory, the Associate Scientist will characterize complex small molecule-based compounds to support process, formulation, and analytical development activities. This position offers great potential for growth of scientific and drug development experience while working on exciting, complex, and impactful products.
- Characterize small molecule and polymeric systems, including highly potent compounds
- Develop analytical methods to support GMP manufacturing and non-GMP product development activities
- Quickly learn and implement new analytical methods, including for biologics
- Execute internal stability studies for complex drug products
- Support general laboratory operations by coordinating instrument maintenance, special laboratory supplies, and specialized infrastructure needs
- Analyze complex problems and data sets and propose solutions and future experimental directions
- Review qualification/validation, in-process, release, and stability data packages from CMOs/CROs
- Author technical reports as part of method development, transfer, stability studies, etc.
- Contribute to analytical control strategies
- Contribute to authoring CMC-related IND sections
- Perform early studies to characterize intermediates and complex drug products to support pre-clinical animal studies
- Work with global teams
- Commission new equipment, techniques, and laboratory expansions. Identify need for new personnel and equipment resources as needed
- Create standard procedures for equipment and processes of new laboratory
- Other responsibilities as required according to Corporate strategy or group needs
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally up to 5%
- Bachelors/Masters degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry, or a related field with 4+ yrs experience in industry is preferred or Ph.D. in related field with 2+ years of relevant experience required
- Expertise with standard small molecule analytical techniques such as HPLC/UPLC, Karl Fischer, UV/Vis, IR, pH, etc.
- Experience interpreting MS, IR, GC, NMR, DSC, light scattering, and microscopy data
- Experience with protein analytical methods a plus, including ELISA, SEC-HPLC, CE-SDS, IEF/iCIEF, and osmolality
- Ability to appropriately summarize complicated data sets and draw appropriate conclusions
- Troubleshoot instruments and experiment designs
- Strong communication skills and comfort working across global boundaries
- Creative problem solver generating solutions from knowledge across disciplines
- Clear communication, especially across global boundaries, is a key required skill.
- Is curious, observant, detail oriented, and practices good record keeping