Administrative Manager- Chemistry - 2100000094
Administrative Manager- Chemistry - 2100000094
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville www.chem.utk.edu invites applications for a regular, full-time Administrative Manager (staff) position. The individual manages the day-to-day administrative operations of the Department of Chemistry. He/she supervises the supervisors of the business office, chemstore, technical shop, mechanical shop, glassblowing shop, main office, as well as the NMR facility director, and departmental recruiting, communications, and development employees. The Administrative Manager is the liaison with the Office of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, with regard to matters of administrative operations. The Administrative Manager reports directly to the Chemistry Department Head. The Knoxville campus of the University of Tennessee is seeking candidates who have the ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the diversity and intercultural goals of the University. The review of applications will begin February 15, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages unit-wide supervision of administrative, shop, and accounting, which includes sub-group operations of the Business Office, Technical Shop, Mechanical Shop, Glassblowing Shop, NMR, Main Office, and Recruiting, Communications and Development. Provides supervision, training and direction of the business office staff in the Department of Chemistry. Maintains accurate account records of departmental and research accounts.
- In conjunction with the Department Head, provides direction to the leaders in each sub-group, such as goals and objectives for each area mentioned.
- Will write the annual review for said leaders of each sub-group.
- Leads meetings with administrative staff to address problems, praise accomplishments, facilitate information exchange from the Department Head and faculty by providing information to staff to explain problems, issues, and requests.
- Meets the financial goals and administrative goals of the Department Head by identifying challenges and presenting solutions, which improve the efficiency of the department.
- Involved in the department hiring processes.For staff: on hiring committees, providing guidance to hiring manager for preparation of documents, providing guidance to hiring supervisor.For faculty: assisting hiring committees, preparation of documents, publication of the job posting, and in conjunction with the Department Head, planning the interview process.
- Communicating job expectations, training, promoting, team-building, and discipline of staff in these areas.
- Responds to routine inquiries from faculty and college administrators.
- In conjunction with the Department Head, responsible for departmental strategic planning.
- Additional tasks assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications / Minimum Requirements:
Competencies: High level of discretion and confidentiality is required. Leadership, decision-making skills, attention to details, and strategic planning skills. Excellent internal and external customer service with diplomatic interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication skills. Commitment to building and sustaining relationships. Work independently and efficiently, time management skills, organization skills, resourcefulness, decision-making skills, project management, scheduling and planning, administrative writing and reporting skills. Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, database management, and a working knowledge of a payroll and employee recruiting/hiring program.
Required Education and Required Experience: Bachelor’s degree. Along with 5 years of high-level managerial experience supervising multiple individuals in supervisory roles. Excellent diplomatic written and diplomatic oral communication skills.
Preferred Education and Preferred Experience: One of the following: Master’s degree in business administration or business management or related field; CPA; MBA. Along with 5 years of high-level managerial experience supervising multiple individuals in supervisory roles. Preference given to those with one or more of the following: academic higher education office experience, research higher education experience, accounting experience, chemistry technical experience, Human Resources Management experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Expertise in MS office suite including: Word, Excel, Outlook and Access.
- Proficiency in IRIS(SAP) financial accounting or equivalent software.
- Have good office organization, accounting and management skills
- Be able to interact with a diverse group of people from many different cultures and work with them in a mutually respectful, cooperative manner.
- Have good judgement, be able to evaluate and implement work priorities, be able to multitask and still pay attention to detail.
- Be able to assess strengths and weaknesses of exempt and non-exempt staff and utilize these for effective operation of the department
- Be reliable in attendance and professional in interactions with people within and outside the department.
Applicants must apply through the UT HR website: https://hr.utk.edu/staff-positions/
For full consideration, your online application should include cover letter, resume, and names with contact information (phone and email address) for three references.
Job: Other Professional
Primary Location: US-Tennessee-Knoxville
The University of Tennessee is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and admission without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, and parental status.