Associate Professor of Chemistry -Mountain House Campus
Associate Professor of Chemistry -Mountain House Campus
San Joaquin Delta Community College District
Job Number: 2100001H
NOTE: Please review your application and documents for completeness BEFORE submitting your application. Once your application is submitted, revisions or additions after submission will NOT be considered.
San Joaquin Delta Community College District is seeking a Full-Time Tenure Track faculty member in chemistry. The ideal candidate will share in the college's commitment to educating a racially and socioeconomically diverse student population and have a strong academic background in chemistry.
San Joaquin Delta Community College District, as part of our Vision, “promotes a climate of respect and authentic engagement. We are culturally responsive to the needs of our diverse student body. We strive to increase and sustain equitable outcomes for all students. We recruit and retain quality employees who are reflective of our students and the community we serve, in addition to providing all personnel with equity and diversity training.”
San Joaquin Delta College is a proud is a proud Chicanx/Latinx, and Hispanic-Serving Institution, Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution, and Minority Serving Institution, serving over 20,000 students in the California Central Valley. The student population is as follows: by ethnicity - 47% Latinx, 18.5% White, 18.4% Asian/Filipino/Pacific Islander, 8.8% Black/African American, 0.4% American Indian, 5.7% two or more races and 1.2% unknown; by gender - 54.6% female, 43.6% male, 1.8% unspecified; and by age - 28.9% ages 17 or younger, 49.7% ages 18-21, 19.6% ages 22-34, and 7.2% ages 35 and older.
San Joaquin Delta College works to create an inclusive environment that provides a safe-haven for international students, veterans, re-entry students, LGBTQIA+ students, and students of various learning styles regardless of citizenship status.
Under the general supervision of the Instructional Dean for the Science, Engineering, Computer Science, and Math Transfer and Career Pathway (TrAC), the Professor will teach classes in chemistry such as Introductory Chemistry, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Analytical Chemistry. The successful candidate will provide evidence of knowledge and understanding of the racial, socioeconomic, and academic diversity within community college populations; the candidate will also show knowledge and understanding of how these factors relate to the need for equity-minded and culturally-responsive practices in the community college setting.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Teach community college level chemistry courses such as Introductory Chemistry, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Analytical Chemistry.
• Conduct and organize classes at the instructional level to meet the educational requirements stated in the course description and the course information outlines.
• Advise and assist students in achieving stated course objectives.
• Evaluate the progress of each student; connect students to appropriate campus-support services.
• Participate in the evaluation of course offerings, including the revision of course descriptions and course outlines that reflect a culturally-responsive pedagogy.
• Coordinate with other faculty in the selection of textbooks, audiovisual, and other instructional materials that advance the college's mission of developing an equity-minded education.
• Keep current with new developments and maintain competency within the framework of support provided by the San Joaquin Delta Community College District.
• Maintain necessary records of student enrollment, attendance, progress, and grades; prepare and submit required reports to the administration.
• Report to management any condition that might jeopardize the health or safety of students or the public.
• Assist in the marketing and promotion of the program by participating in college-sponsored events and visiting local businesses and schools.
• Be familiar with and act in accordance with the Education Code and San Joaquin Delta Community College District policies and procedures.
• Participate in departmental, TrAC, advisory, campus-wide and community committees as part of the shared-governance process and service area needs of the District.
• Maintain office hours for students and participate in additional service hours/activities that benefit the student, college, or community.
• Plan and complete approved professional development flex activities each semester/year.
• Participate in the departmental process of curriculum review, curriculum modification, and the assessment of student learning outcomes.
• Work collaboratively with Success Teams to monitor, advise and ensure student equity and success through completion and post-graduation outcomes.
• Provide guidance and direction to readers and/or Instructional Support Assistant (ISA) as appropriate.
• Perform other necessary duties which assure the smooth functioning of the Science, Engineering, Computer Science, and Math Transfer and Career Pathway TrAC and Programs as assigned by the Dean of Instruction and as outlined in Board Policy.
Applicant must meet the minimum educational qualifications set forth by the District and the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office.
• Master's degree in chemistry
• OR Bachelor's in chemistry or biochemistry AND Master's in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology or geochemistry
• OR the equivalent.
• Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
• Earned Doctorate in chemistry
• Demonstrated exemplary teaching experience in chemistry at the post-secondary level.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a cooperative manner with staff, students and community college groups.
• Knowledge of the diverse needs and abilities of non-traditional students and familiarity with materials and methods designed to meet their needs.
• Ability to instruct students with widely varying chemistry backgrounds.
• Familiarity with computers and their applications to the teaching of chemistry.
• Interest and experience in curriculum development.
• Interest and experience in large group instruction.
• Previous experience in applying chemistry principles to technical or business problems.
• Demonstrated ability to adapt teaching strategies and techniques to different student abilities, learning styles, cultures, and ethnic groups.
• Demonstrated experience teaching in a variety of settings, including but not limited to online, dual enrollment, and large lectures. A willingness to develop and utilize instructional materials, including lectures and labs for multiple modalities.
• Ability to use innovative and creative teaching techniques (lecture and labs) and equipment such as multimedia hardware, current applications, and online instructional strategies. Working knowledge of Canvas (or other Learning Management Systems) is particularly desirable.
• Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 60,783
• Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 113,413
• External Closing Date: Apr 21, 2021
• External Opening Date: Mar 23, 2021
Location: Stockton, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://apptrkr.com/2195726
The San Joaquin Delta Community College District provides access to its education programs and activities and makes all employment decisions without regard to national origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected category. The District’s prohibition against sex and gender discrimination includes sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.