R&D Process Chemist
FMC Agricultural Solutions is an R&D-based business, dependent upon the introduction of new products to deliver a competitive advantage in the agrochemical industry. Our business has a robust pipeline of new products that anticipate our customers’ needs and contribute to their long-term prosperity while advancing agriculture. The Process Development organization employs process chemists and process engineers to achieve its mission to develop the technology necessary to commercialize new agricultural active ingredients.
FMC Agricultural Solutions has an opening for an experienced process chemist at their global research center in Newark, Delaware. This role requires organic chemistry/process chemistry and engineering knowledge, as well as work experience in kilo labs, scale-up labs, pilot plants or commercial operations. The successful candidate will conduct a hands-on laboratory-based program to develop commercial manufacturing processes as part of an interdisciplinary team of process chemists, analytical chemists and chemical engineers. The role includes support of all phases of process development, with responsibility from early stage to commercial launch.
Establish research goals and objectives and manage an independent technical segment of an overall development project. Develop an understanding of corporate, business and functional needs so as to align their work with overall strategies and objectives. Adhere to required and approved safety procedures. The successful candidate will develop process concepts and cost analyses for chemical synthetic routes/manufacturing processes, design and conduct a hands-on laboratory-based program to demonstrate commercial process feasibility and to establish essential chemistry/engineering parameters, develop basic data, define operating conditions and critical limits, and establish safety and quality parameters for the commercial process through scale up. Document and transfer technology, direct research activities at CRO’s, support campaigns at internal and external partners, and participate in the pre-campaign planning and start-up of commercial operations.
- Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry with strong background in synthetic organic chemistry and a minimum of 5+ years relevant experience in agrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, fine or specialty chemicals industry.
- Solid knowledge of classical and modern synthetic methods as well as modern tools in chemical research
- Familiarity with concepts of developing safe and cost-effective chemical processes
- Demonstrated experience in the development of chemical processes and in the scale-up of processes to the kilo lab or pilot plant scale, in troubleshooting issues encountered during scale-up of technology transfer of chemical processes
- Experience in working with CRO’s
- Strong ability to document and transfer technology to internal and external partners
- Experience in effectively mentoring other team members
- Strong ability to work in a cross disciplinary international team environment with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in working in a dynamic, timeline driven environment, strong track record of delivering high quality results that meet or exceed expectations
- Ability to travel to national and international sites may be required (less than 10%).
- Flexible work schedules to accommodate work performed in different geographies required