SNA International, LLC (SNA) is currently seeking a Senior Chemist (specialized in Radiological and Nuclear Chemistry Analysis). This position is based in Charlottesville, VA. This position is primarily based in the Continental United States (CONUS) but may require travel Outside of the Continental United States OCONUS (as needed).
SNA, a vibrant, growing company based in Alexandria, VA, is a world leader in forensics, biometrics, and identity intelligence services. SNA's staff support high visibility forensic human identification operations, including staffing some of the US's largest federal forensic laboratories.
Position Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Duties may be executed in a CONUS or OCONUS laboratory and include performing analyses of samples that have been collected.
- Define new methods to support expansion of laboratory capabilities and improve/solve existing method deficiencies.
- Assist in developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for analysis methods.
- Review, evaluate, and analyze data from samples and provide database entry support
- Perform equipment/instrument maintenance.
- Operate, maintain and perform radiochemical sample analysis using applicable laboratory instrumentation and techniques required to identify attribution signatures (i.e., indicating country of origin such as geological/industrial, isotopic composition/ratios); characterization signatures (i.e., those indicating process such as chemical form, physical form); and indicative signatures (i.e., those that by themselves do not indicate origin, process, or use such as elemental composition, trace constituents)
- Experience and use of techniques for radiation detection, counting and spectroscopy, imaging and microscopy, and data analysis
- Utilize, maintain, and troubleshoot instrumentation such as the following:
- Alpha Spectroscopy
- Gamma Spectroscopy
- Nobel Gas Mass Spectrometry (MS)
- Liquid Scintillation Counting
- Scanning Electron Microscope – Electron Dispersive Spectroscopy (SEM-EDS)
- Polarized Light Microscope (PLM)
- X-ray Florescence Spectroscopy (XRF)
- X-ray Diffraction Spectroscopy (XRD)
- Compare sample results to a library of known results for the specific instrumentation and chemical being tested
- Use photographic equipment to capture still images of each evidence item and relevant key portions of the evidence item, or other exhibits, to support further analysis, conclusions, and general documentation of the evidence.
- Document examination results/findings in the required Laboratory Information System(s) and databases
- Annotate the file documentation, detailing the processing techniques and the examination results.
- Perform administrative and/or technical reviews of files, reports, data, etc.
- Ensure a proper chain of custody for all evidence and samples is maintained.
- Maintain a clean laboratory and personal workspace environment, in accordance with laboratory procedures
- Participate in field training exercises.
- Train junior personnel on equipment, instruments, methods, and procedures
- Supervise junior staff and assign daily tasks and responsibilities.
- Lead development and execution of test plans, validations, and method development
- Must possess typical users’ skills with Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Project and Outlook
- A Bachelor’s degree (e.g., radiochemistry, physics, nuclear engineering or related field) coupled with 10 years relatable experience OR A Master’s degree with 5 years of relatable experience OR a Ph.D.
- Proficiency working with radiation detection, counting & spectroscopy, imaging µscopy, mass spectroscopy & gas chromatography, and data analysis.
- Must be able to successfully pass all medical requirements for deployment, as needed
- Experience working in a forensic laboratory is a plus
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Top Secret security clearance and must be able to pass a CI polygraph to gain access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI)
- Eligible for both US Tourist Passport and US Official Passport
- Eligibility to obtain a DoD Secret clearance with a Counterintelligence (CI) polygraph.
- Deployed experience in Analytical/Operational environment
SNA International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.