6 days left
- Job Type
- Full time
What We're Looking For
The Instrumentation Specialist position in the Baylor Science Building (BSB) provides a unique opportunity to interface with a broad range of scientific instrumentation and disciplines to support Baylor's Research 1 initiative. This position will work closely with Baylor researchers, service engineers, contractors, and vendors to facilitate instrumentation needs, including support for installations, maintenance, repair, and future planning.
The Instrumentation Specialist will also provide direct oversight for shared instrumentation in the instrumental analysis facility and elsewhere in the BSB. The instrumentation specialist will be a key component of our goals to meet Baylor’s rapidly developing research and technology needs.
- A Master’s degree or a Bachelor's with equivalent experience is required; Preference will be given to candidates with a Master’s or Ph.D. in Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, or related field.
- At least two years of experience working with scientific instruments and computing operations. Experience in instrument maintenance, training, and repair.
- Experience working with budgets and maintaining inventory.
- Experience in basic electronics.
- Ability to work well with all levels of internal staff, faculty, and vendors.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks effectively.
- Accurately estimates timelines and meets deadlines.
- Quick thinker with superb attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Proactive problem solver.
What You Will Do
- Manage major shared scientific research instrumentation by performing routine maintenance, qualification, troubleshooting, and repair of shared instrumentation in the Baylor Sciences Building including instrumentation in the core analytical, biophysical, and physical laboratories.
- Coordinate with our Senior IT team to provide technical support for specialized computers, operating systems, and scientific instrumentation.
- Serve as a technology resource for faculty, staff, and students and conduct training sessions as needed to support proper use and care of instrumentation.
- Oversee daily laboratory operations and quality controls.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of science equipment and instrumentation within the BSB and assist Baylor Fixed Assets in tagging and inventory audit of this equipment.
- Assist in budget preparation and future planning.
- Work as needed with outside contractors, vendors, engineers to support the delivery, installation, and repair of research equipment in the BSB including coordination of site preparations, technician access, and related activities.
- Provide direct facility management for the instrumental analysis facility. This includes installation, maintenance, repair, and training related to the facility.
For more information about Baylor University's research in the Baylor Science Building, please go to https://www.baylor.edu/bsb/.
To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter, and at least three references to https://ejof.fa.us2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX/job/10702/?utm_medium=jobshare
The Baylor Experience
Working at Baylor is so much more than simply having a job! As part of the Baylor family, employees not only receive a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, generous time off, and fantastic automatic retirement contributions*, they also get to experience Baylor.
- Experience the culture of working for an institution consistently ranked as a “Great College to Work For” by The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Experience a mission driven organization based on a strong Christian commitment (www.baylor.edu.about)
- Experience Baylor academics with outstanding tuition remission for staff and qualified dependents*
- Experience our beautiful campus with access to libraries, museums, and recreational facilities such as our fitness center, athletic courts, an indoor swimming pool, and the Baylor marina to name a few
- Experience our great dining facilities and enjoy an employee discount
- Experience Baylor athletics with reduced admission or free access to athletic events
- Experience Baylor through many more wonderful events and programs that take place on campus each year
*For more details and eligibility requirements, please visit www.baylor.edu/hr
Learn more about great opportunities to connect and be a part of our local community in Baylor’s Waco Culture Guide!
Baylor University is a private Christian university and a nationally ranked research institution, consistently listed with highest honors among The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For.” Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas through the efforts of Baptist pioneers, Baylor is the oldest continuously operating university in Texas. The university provides a vibrant campus community for over 16,000 students from all 50 states and more than 80 countries by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship. Baylor is actively recruiting staff who support our mission as we pursue our bold vision, Illuminate.
Baylor University is a private not-for-profit university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, Baylor is committed to compliance with all applicable anti-discrimination laws, including those regarding age, race, color, sex, national origin, marital status, pregnancy status, military service, genetic information, and disability. As a religious educational institution, Baylor is lawfully permitted to consider an applicant’s religion among its selection criteria. Baylor encourages women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply.