1 day left
- Job Type
- Full time
American Peat Technology, LLC® (APT) was founded by a group of local, private investors in 2003 to develop and produce value-added products using the abundant reed-sedge peat resources located in Central Minnesota. The company began operations by producing granular peat products, called BioAPT®, for the agricultural inoculant industry.
Building on the success of BioAPT, APT developed a proprietary line of APTsorb® products for use as a versatile water treatment media to remove dissolved heavy metals from wastewater. The APTsorb products are designed for a variety of uses, including storm water remediation (parking lots, roof runoff), process water treatment (manufacturing facilities) and mining operations (mine dewatering, abandoned mine remediation). The company continues to research new ways to improve APTsorb’s effectiveness in adsorbing heavy metals (such as lead, cadmium, copper, nickel, chromium and zinc) and to develop new products to target other contaminants of concern (such as sulfate, selenium, arsenic and mercury).
This position is a unique opportunity to support an innovative and dynamic company by carrying out a variety of tasks such as developing new products and processes, maintaining and implementing production quality control procedures, executing sales and marketing support activities, and handling all aspects of lab management.
This is a full-time, hourly, non-exempt position, located in Aitkin, MN. The successful candidate will have experience to execute experimental protocols in the area of chemistry, be flexible to support production and sales efforts as needed, and have an entrepreneurial mindset.
- B.S. in chemistry or related field to include additional laboratory experience; or education in chemistry field and laboratory work experience totaling at least six years in combination.
- Two years of experience in atomic absorption spectrometry (flame and furnace methods) including method development and troubleshooting.
- Two years of experience in wet chemistry techniques and bench scale analysis.
- Experience with spectrophotometry, UV-Vis and colorimetry.
- Experience in running columns for media testing.
- Basic experience in organic chemistry tasks such as hydrolysis, extractions, titrations and synthesis.
- Excellent observational and analytical skills, especially while monitoring organic reactions.
- Lab management skills such as ordering reagents, handling hazardous waste and maintaining basic lab cleanliness standards.
- Proficiency with the suite of Microsoft Office products.
- M.S. degree in chemistry or organic chemistry and/or research experience in fields related to natural products, peat, ion-exchange resins and treatment of wastewater by chemical means.
- Experience with instrumentation such as ICP, IC and FTIR.
- Work closely with VP Sales and Research and CEO to identify and prioritize projects and tasks to meet company needs.
- Work closely with external research partners to support company R&D efforts and development of new products.
- Execute experimental protocols and operate analytical instruments using precise, clean techniques that describe the performance and characterization of prototype materials and products.
- Collect research data, keep meticulous notes, and prepare reports to summarize research results.
- Participate in team planning to identify market needs, determine future research goals and implement procedures to develop new products.
- Maintain the function and efficiency of the R&D lab by ordering necessary supplies, implementing hazardous waste procedures, maintaining lab cleanliness and implementing inventory and SDS procedures.
- Conduct other miscellaneous organizational support activities as identified.
This position reports to the VP Sales and Research. This position occasionally supervises temporary interns or student workers.
American Peat Technology offers medical/dental insurance, 401K program with company match, PTO, flexible work schedule and professional development opportunities.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and the names, phone numbers and email addresses of two references to:
Human Resources Director
American Peat Technology
362003 350th Ave.
Aitkin, MN 56431
Apply for Research/Analytical Chemist
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly