Group Leader Supervisor
Group Leader Supervisor
Budgeted Salary Range: $60,800.00 - $91,400.00/Annual, commensurate with educational background and relevant working experience
Final Filing Date: 5/42021
Under general direction of the Chief Chemist/Lab Manager supervise and manage diagnostic testing and related activities in one of two analytical groups in the CAHFS Toxicology Section. As Group Leader, assign and coordinate group work assignments and diagnostic testing. Responsible for the supervision of multiple chemists and the performance of high complexity mass spectrometry methods for the determination of chemicals in animal tissues, biological specimens and source materials.
• Advanced degree in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry or closely related fields or equivalent combination of education and experience in an analytical chemistry laboratory performing analysis for a broad array of organic chemicals.
• Experience operating high complexity mass spectrometry instrumentation including LC-MS, LC-HRMS, GC-MS and Ion Chromatography and troubleshooting methods on those instruments to achieve optimum qualitative and quantitative results.
• Demonstrated experience to provide effective leadership and supervision, including prioritizing workload and scheduling multilevel technical staff to meet strict deadlines with high volume testing numbers, as well as experience to recruit, hire, train, and evaluate the performance of employees, encourage staff development, and perform conflict resolution, corrective action, mentoring and coaching for supervised staff.
• Experience in working under guidelines provided by organizations such as ISO-17025, NELAP, or AAVLD. Experience in meeting QA/QC goals for routine analytical procedures.
• Demonstrated experience performing method development and validation of both the sample preparation and sample analysis portions of high-complexity methods, including a clear demonstration of knowledge and understanding of statistics and QA/QC principles to ensure that accurate and robust methods are created.
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, to interact harmoniously with individuals at all levels of the University and with external clients. Skills to obtain, comprehend, and give adequate consideration to others' priorities, opinions and concerns. Skills to communicate complex and sensitive information, negotiate and resolve conflicts and promote teamwork.
• Experience at presenting scientific findings through the writing of scientific papers, giving talks, or preparing poster presentations at laboratory, scientific, or grant-related meetings.
• Extensive supervisory/management experience in a laboratory environment including performance management, coaching, hiring/releasing staff, and directing the work of others.
• Extensive technical expertise in LCMS and/or GC-MS including method development and troubleshooting.
• Education in or demonstrated understanding of the principles of Analytical Toxicology to effectively design and implement analytical methods relevant to diagnostic testing.
• Background Check
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at
Job ID # 17478
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer