Advanced Materials Engineer
4 days left
- Job Type
- Full time
This Advanced Materials Engineer (Heat & Mass Transfer) position is for an experienced Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) and Advanced Materials Engineer that will report to the System Chemistry team within the Materials & Chemistry Network of Excellence (NOE). Within Trane Technologies, the Networks of Excellence (NOE) are teams that develop advanced capabilities/technologies by leveraging internal competencies and external partnerships, which are deployed in the Strategic Business Units (SBUs).
This role will work across the Strategic Business Units to drive leading-edge technologies in the area of Indoor Air Quality and Advanced Heat Transfer Materials, mature those technologies, and deliver technical expertise/support to deploy them within new product development, value engineering, and quality/reliability related projects. This job will require experience and knowledge across a broad range of IAQ technologies, advanced heat transfer, adsorbent, filtration and catalytic materials including the manufacturing, testing and application into HVAC systems and components. The ideal candidate should be willing and able to manage/execute multiple projects simultaneously while identifying new technologies/trends in the industry to keep Trane Technologies products on the leading edge.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (others may be added):
- Identify, screen, direct, mature, and implement new IAQ, heat transfer, and adsorbent/filtration materials and technologies.
- Be primary technical leader to enable assessment, development and deployment of technologies, surrounding use of IAQ, heat transfer, and adsorbent/filtration materials.
- Be knowledgeable in HVAC and Refrigeration technologies and conduct first-level modeling of heat transfer processes in order to evaluate performance of IAQ, heat transfer, and adsorbent materials and technologies.
- Be able to interact with business units and other technology groups, including modeling and simulation, manufacturing, and external partners for more in-depth analysis and prototype testing.
- Develop and oversee test protocols and schedules to validate material, component, assembly, and/or application.
- Conduct new technology, productivity, and new product development per established processes to design new products or components and /or improve the function, reliability or cost of existing products or components.
- Map out technology roadmaps and align them with product growth teams to enable the development of advanced technology and capabilities ahead of program needs. Deploy recently developed technology and capabilities into new product development programs.
- Use appropriate analytical and test methods in designing and selecting materials and processes to ensure that the product meets or exceeds customer’s requirements. Candidates should have experience with standard and advanced testing techniques in the space of heat transfer, adsorbent, and indoor air quality materials and processes.
- Conduct research, specification, design and development of heat transfer, adsorbent, and indoor air quality materials and technologies to enable new product development, new technology maturation, reliability & quality, and sourcing-related projects.
- Build and maintain relevant technical networks through partnerships and participation in relevant consortia, universities, national labs and other technology partners.
- Understand current and future business needs and opportunities through interactions with engineering and technology colleagues and self-initiated foresight.
- Up to 15% travel may be required, including international travel.
- Master's Degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Materials Science and at least 8 years experience in application of advanced materials is required.
- Technical project management, partnership development, and enabling of technology deployment to new and existing products is required.
- Advanced Degree (Ph.D.) is strongly preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- English speaking/reading/writing skills required.
- Interest or experience in project leadership required.
- Must be proficient in problem solving.
- Strong understanding of chemistry, chemical reactions, adsorption, physical/chemical separation processes, and thermal properties of materials (solids/liquids). Understanding of basic principles of indoor air quality, and associated chemistry, material, and technology applications.
- Knowledge in first-level modeling of heat transfer and thermal properties of materials (liquids and solids) and understanding of more in-depth simulations in order to interact with and define requirements with modeling and simulation
- Experienced with coordinating external work with Universities, Consortia, National Labs, and other External partnerships.
- Strong program leadership and project management skills with an understanding of stage gate product development processes. Ability to define new projects with justification and business buy-in, take an idea and through assessment, determine feasibility with working prototypes and maturation of new technologies.
- Proven ability to drive innovative ideas/solutions into product designs.
- Experience writing technical reports, specifications, invention disclosures, patent applications, patents, and publications. Ability to present to internal and external stakeholders, and at external conferences.
- Self-starter and quick learner, able to work with minimum supervision.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to operate computer keyboard and telephone. The employee frequently is required to walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
This position works in a typical office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Occasional travel may be required. This position will also require assisting in the review of laboratory testing in a typical laboratory environment as well as potential visits to suppliers, external partners, and Trane Technology manufacturing locations. Safety shoes and safety glasses (provided by company) are required to be worn at all times in the laboratory or any manufacturing areas. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what’s possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.