Chemical Management Specialist / Industrial Hygienist
Chemical Management Specialist / Industrial Hygienist - 92380
Organization: EH-Environ, Health, & Safety
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has an opening for a Chemical Management Specialist in the Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) Division. This position will provide technical consultation and EHS program assistance to support the implementation of Berkeley Lab’s chemical management program. Daily responsibilities involve providing field support to internal customers in managing their chemical inventory, assisting with implementation of RFID container tracking, providing quality assurance reviews of chemical inventory data, and providing assistance to EHS Division staff to ensure the Laboratory’s mission meets applicable EHS-related DOE orders, performance measures, and other regulatory requirements. This is a great opportunity to be a key contributor to a high-profile EHS program and build a rewarding career at a world renowned research institution!
What You Will Do:
• Assist in the day-to-day management of the Chemical Management System (CMS) program, including assigning and maintaining chemical hazard classifications, performing assurance validations of inventory data, monitoring SDSs, and generating reports.
• Assist research laboratories with managing their chemical inventories, including:
- Chemical inventory activities, including input, hazard classification, reconciliation.
- Chemical labeling, segregation, and storage, including management of time-sensitive chemicals.
- RFID implementation and container tracking.
• Establish understanding of each Division’s work activities, personnel, and associated hazards. Assist in hazard identification, hazard evaluation, and development of controls appropriate to the work being performed.
• Develop and maintain productive working relationships with customer Division Safety Coordinators, safety committee, scientists, building managers, and engineers, maintenance, and Facilities Division personnel, promoting a customer service-oriented approach.
• Coordinate with Chemical Hygiene Officer, Waste Services Team, research staff and other stakeholders to facilitate the disposition of high-hazard chemicals.
• Provide user support and training on the CMS database, CMS mobile system and RFID devices, including development and update of CMS training materials.
• Conduct routine chemical safety inspections in laboratories, shops, and other assigned areas. Document and communicate results to internal customers and applicable technical program managers.
• Evaluate and interpret current regulations and assist in compliance efforts.
• Provide health & safety and EHS Division support in accordance with Berkeley Lab and EHS Division Health & Safety Policies, and contribute to Performance Indicators and reporting in Health & Safety CHESS database.
• Provide essential support services during localized or site-wide emergencies, including those that relate directly to the health, safety, and welfare of Berkeley Lab, ensure continuity of key operations and maintain and protect Lab properties.
What is Required:
• B.S. in Chemistry, industrial hygiene or closely related field, and 3 to 5 years of professional experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience (e.g., Masters degree and 1 to 3 years of experience).
• Solid understanding of chemistry and ability to independently assess and identify a variety of chemicals and hazards.
• Demonstrated ability to apply basic knowledge of Cal/OSHA, Federal OSHA, DOE, ANSI, and other pertinent federal, state, and local regulatory requirements.
• Strong communications and interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively with people across a wide level of positions.
• Proficiency with standard business software, including word processing, presentation software, and spreadsheets.
• Ability to perform the physical requirements of this position, including field activity, ability to work in all weather conditions and wearing a wide-variety of personal protective equipment consistent with that typically used by a hands-on safety professional. Involves minor lifting up to 25 lbs; extensive walking and climbing; moving in confined spaces; inspecting equipment using hands and arms; working at various heights, on construction sites with poor footing, and other construction hazards.
• Experience working in a Department of Energy or national laboratory environment preferred.
• Professional certification, registration, or equivalent preferred.
• This is a full-time career appointment, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=197870 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab - Click Here (https://commons.lbl.gov/display/hr/Benefits)
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law." Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.