Lead Scientist I - Discovery (Biotransformations)
Specific Job Functions:
- Leverage your expertise to develop innovative and sustainable process concepts for new biotransformation processes.
- Research efforts focused on product development from bench activity to lab scale and final management and transfer to pilot plant and production scale.
- Lead assay development for testing novel enzymatic and/or microbial biotransformations at the bench scale.
- Depending on the innovation target, utilize commercially available enzymes, or use literature and public databases to identify and isolate novel enzymes from bacterial, fungal, or plant sources.
- Interact closely with other scientists. Network actively with internal and external research groups, strategic planning, and supporting a functional vision focused on continuously improving biotechnological expertise and methods. Review literature and patents, cooperate with universities, and outside companies.
- Contribute to the Discovery & Open Innovation strategy at the direction of the Director of Discovery & Open Innovation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serve as principle investigator, planning, designing and independently conducting experiments and associated research activities directed toward identified, strategic business opportunities requiring:
- Judgment in the independent evaluation, selection and if necessary, creation and modification of appropriate scientific techniques.
- The application of specialized techniques or ingenuity in selecting and evaluating approaches to unforeseen or novel problems.
- A thorough understanding of scientific methods, research protocols, assessment instruments, and data analysis and interpretation.
- The evaluation and acquisition of new techniques and equipment that improve the capabilities of the lab and expand the possibilities for commercial opportunities.
- Careful recording of experimental observations in a laboratory notebook kept in a sufficient manner to protect Kalsec’s intellectual property rights.
- Preparation of detailed reports describing research efforts, and when appropriate, presentation of research results to scientific conferences, customers, Kalsec staff and/or other groups.
- The transition of promising research work into the application and core Innovation groups for commercial development.
- To maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
- To explore market trends and identify unique opportunities for Kalsec growth, backed by experimental support.
- To serve as a mentor to Kalsec staff, including occasional leading, guiding and training of staff, student employees, interns, and/or others performing related work.
- To develop contacts with outside researchers that further Kalsec’s business objectives.
- To maintain a safe and clean work area, complying with corporate safety and environmental policies.
- To participate in training programs deemed necessary to either develop job skills and laboratory capabilities or meet company policies and directives.
- To be aware of the company’s Q.A. policy and objectives, strictly observing these policy provisions in the fulfillment of this job.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biological Engineering, or other related scientific discipline. 1-2 years experience Experience with biocatalysis and/or fermentation Strong written and verbal presentation skills
- Prior experience in food ingredient industry or consumer food products industry. Familiarity with enzyme libraries and searches through public databases.