Who we are:
The American Physical Society (APS) is a nonprofit membership organization working to advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics through its outstanding research journals, scientific meetings, and education, outreach, advocacy, and international activities. APS represents over 55,000 members, including physicists in academia, national laboratories, and industry in the United States and throughout the world. Society offices are located in College Park, MD (Headquarters), Ridge, NY, and Washington, D.C.
The Physical Review journals seek a Managing Editor to lead, manage, and develop a new journal aimed at the multidisciplinary energy research community. The new title will span pure and applied physics, chemistry, materials science, biology, and technology, and the Managing Editor would be in charge of developing a strategy to attract original research, short reviews, and Perspective pieces on a wide range of topics, including (but not limited to) energy conversion and storage, batteries, hydroelectricity, geothermal energy, photovoltaics, light harvesting, fuel-cell technology, grid efficiency, and sustainable energy sources. This exciting role is an excellent opportunity for a physical-sciences editor ready to advance in their career.
Your Responsibilities Will Include:
- Working with the Publisher, Editor-in-Chief and editorial staff, design and execute a strategy to attract high-quality manuscript submissions from relevant research areas to the Physical Review journals
- Handle original manuscripts on areas related to energy research and technology, overseeing all aspects of the peer review process in support of relevant journals
- Contribute to plans to develop the Physical Review journals and services in line with the needs of applied sciences researchers
- Build connections with prominent research groups around the world through in-person or virtual conferences and lab visits
- Recruit and manage suitable Editorial Board members to engage the research community and drive editorial vision, objectives, and process
- Commission Review and Perspective pieces on active areas of research
- Promote journal content on the web and through social media
- Keep abreast of key developments in energy research and technology, including scientific discoveries, funding opportunities, and new research centers
- Collaborate with other Physical Review editors and APS staff to ensure consistent editorial standards and to advance the journals’ strategy and goals
- Report on progress to other editorial teams, departments, and APS management
- The role may require supervisory duties as the editorial team develops
Is This You:
Education: PhD in physics, chemistry or materials science with expertise relevant to energy research and technology. Postdoctoral experience is strongly preferred.
Experience: Five or more years of work as an editor for physical-sciences publications, preferably with a demonstrated ability to commission and attract content to a new journal
We value diversity and welcome researchers from a variety of backgrounds. We offer career stability with competitive salary and benefits to a qualified individual ready for a nontraditional career in physics.
Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Five years of scientific editorial experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and teams.
- Excellent knowledge of the scientific research literature and existing research groups in the area of coverage.
- Impeccable writing and communication skills.
- A willingness to learn about new research areas and trends in scientific publishing.
- Strong sense of integrity and a commitment to a diverse and inclusive research community.
- Ability to make prompt independent evaluations and decisions.
- Facility in managing multiple priorities.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Travel to attend conferences, participate in events, and visit research institutions and universities will be part of the job, but not until safe travel conditions resume.
Flexible work hours to accommodate the time differences for meetings and events as requested.
The role is temporarily 100% remote. Eventually, the position will be based at the editorial offices in Ridge, New York, on Long Island, 100 km east of Manhattan, near Brookhaven National Laboratory and Stony Brook University. We prefer a candidate who can join us in our editorial office, but we will consider remote working within certain parts of the US.
Application Process: To apply, please provide a resume and a cover letter that includes a short description of how you would go about connecting with the energy community. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Application Deadline: May 25
To advance and diffuse the knowledge of physics for the benefit of humanity, promote physics, and serve the broader physics community, we:
- Provide a welcoming and supportive professional home for an active, engaged, and diverse membership
- Advance scientific discovery and research dissemination
- Advocate for physics and physicists, and amplify the voice for science
- Share the excitement of physics and communicate the essential role physics plays in the modern world
- Promote effective physics education for all
The core values that drive our mission are:
- The Scientific Method
- Truth and Integrity
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Respect
- Partnering, Cooperation, and Open Collaboration
- Speaking Out
- Education and Learning
The American Physical Society is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. The American Physical Society is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request reasonable accommodation, contact Kimberly Browne, Senior Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org
The role is temporarily 100% remote and will be based in either the College Park, MD, Ridge, NY or Washington, DC office when on-site work resumes. Applicants looking for opportunities in either of these locations are encouraged to apply.
We welcome you to apply today!