Chemistry Process Development Associate
1 day left
- Job Type
- Full time
Promega is an international bio-tech company with over 4000 high quality products that have been supporting science for over 40 years. We support scientists researching life and disease, pharma companies developing new treatments, forensic labs matching DNA from crime scenes and clinical labs running and confirming health tests - and that’s just the beginning. And yes, we have been extremely busy providing our technologies to support COVID-19 testing and research.
We strive to create an open, inviting and inclusive culture – we care about you as a person, not just a team member. We embrace the principles of emotional and social intelligence – which helps our employees improve relationships, manage stress and enhance connections. Establishing and maintaining relationships is part of the foundation of our culture - teams are more like family than co-workers.
Our campus speaks volumes. Headquartered in Madison, employees work in and around a campus with multiple buildings that are integrated into a natural setting with trails, ponds, woods and a restored prairie. Sustainability is important – we invest in energy efficiency and use renewable energy. Our culinary team offers top notch food to employees – including an onsite garden to supply fresh produce. Check out our campus through this map, and learn more about our people and sustainable practices.
The Promega Component Manufacturing Center team consists of innovative professionals with diverse skillsets who work together to achieve our goal to safely manufacture high-quality small molecules that are used in Promega’s Life Science products to improve lives around the globe. To achieve this goal, we build strong relationships, collaborate openly, and embrace an attitude of “How can we do this the right way?” when we face challenges. We believe that to succeed as a team we need to create a space of optimistic learning and shared belonging, leveraging each other’s strengths and celebrating our differences. We are looking to build our team with members who share these values and who are inspired to take on the new opportunities that inevitably await!
As a member of the Process Development team, you will be involved in the development of synthetic organic processes ranging from grams to multi-kilograms. You will closely collaborate with chemical engineers and other chemists to design processes that are safe, environmentally friendly, reproducible, efficient, and plant appropriate.
We are seeking a synthetic organic Process Chemist that is familiar with a large scale manufacturing environment and has experience in scale up. An ideal candidate will also have experience in polymer chemistry, crystallization development, organic chemistry analytical techniques, and instrument maintance and troubleshooting.
JOB OBJECTIVE: Conduct projects for the optimization and scale up of synthetic organic chemistry processes for a variety of products. Conducts the chemistry and analysis at all stages of processes, validating procedures and maintaining accurate and complete records of work. Supports ongoing manufacturing troubleshooting as needed.
1. Design of processes for optimization and scale-up of a variety of projects. High level of expectation to meet deadlines of assigned projects.
2. Conduct or assist with analytical experiments and measurements relevant to projects within the Process Development department.
3. Apply standard and novel methods of experimentation to solve complex problems. Identify and attend relevant continuing educational seminars and short courses.
4. Perform all laboratory projects in accordance with established safety procedures in assigned laboratory or work area. Responsible for monitoring safety practices of assigned personnel.
5. Maintain accurate research documentation. Organize program results and prepare project status reports or presentations for the research team and business associates.
6. Contribute to the maintenance and upkeep of lab equipment and lab organization.
7. Assist and provide consultation in the transfer of the scaled-up processes into the Manufacturing Group.
8. Contribute to the development of manufacturing methods, including documentation.
9. Maintain a high level of familiarity with all processes and products manufactured within the plant.
1. MS in Organic Chemistry with 1-4 years industrial experience or BS in Organic chemistry with 4+ years industrial experience.
2. Experience in process development and scale-up of organic chemicals. Knowledge of fluorescent and bioluminescent technologies.
3. Full understanding of modern organic chemistry analytical methods such as NMR & UV-vis spectroscopy, TLC, HPLC, MS, etc.
4. Shows good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work and can facilitate effective and collaborative brainstorming.
5. Ability to learn quickly when facing new problems.
1. Experience in crystallization as a purification and isolation technique.
2. Experience in polymer and particle chemistry.
3. Experience in reaction calorimetry and its application in the understanding of process thermochemistry.
1. Ability to work at a laboratory bench for extended periods of time.
2. Ability to work with hazardous materials (e.g., chemicals) so as not to endanger oneself or others.
3. Ability to use computers in an interactive manner for extended periods of time.
4. Ability to work in a production environment around automated equipment.
5. Ability to use standard laboratory personal protective equipment (e.g., goggles, lab coat, protective gloves).
6. Ability to lift 50 lb. occasionally.
7. Ability to travel by car or airplane, for one or several days, to suppliers, equipment vendors, trade shows, etc.
To apply, view a complete job description, and learn more about our company, please visit:
Diversity is important at Promega. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and make employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.