Adhesives Chemist Lead
Adhesives Chemist Lead Hexion Inc.
US OR Springfield
Based in the Springfield, Oregon R&D laboratory, the Lead Adhesives Chemist will support projects from an application and technical perspective particularly targeting the western region for the plywood business unit. This hands-on role will also have responsibility leading, advising and supervising other technical team members.
Function: Research & Development
Based in Columbus, Ohio, Hexion Inc. is the global leader in thermoset resins. Through a broad range of thermoset technologies and specialty products, Hexion serves and supports customers in a diverse range of applications and industries. Hexion materials are found in products that touch nearly every facet of modern living. At Hexion, we believe that leadership begins with integrity, ethics and environmentally sound operations. When you work for Hexion, you are partnering with a company that is not only focused on delivering value but on doing it in a safe, ethical and environmentally responsible manner.
This exciting opportunity is part of Hexion Inc.
- Design and synthesize thermosetting adhesives and resins to support current business and sustainability initiatives including the use of alternative raw materials.
- Test physical and chemical characteristics of adhesives, resins and other polymers including analytical methods such as gel permeation chromatography and thermal analysis, as well as wet chemical analyses.
- Duties will also include interpreting of polymer analysis methods including gel permeation chromatography (GPC) and thermal analysis. Work will include scale up and manufacturing support of adhesive formulations. Prepare wood composites such as plywood and laminated veneer lumber. Test physical properties of wood composites.
- Prepare and conduct physical property tests on laboratory-scale wood composites.
- Assist Technical Service, Sales, and Production with field trials of new products, as well as specific customer projects including resin synthesis, sample preparation testing and other customer service activities.
- Prepare laboratory reports and customer correspondence regarding studies performed.
- Adhere to safety standards and maintain a clean and safe work area
- Maintain accurate laboratory notebooks and records.
- Monitor current literature, trends and patent activity on adhesives.
- Establish a good working knowledge of customer base and products for the various business groups.
- Provide leadership and day to day direction for a technical team.
- A minimum of six years related technical work experience in the wood/forest products chemical industry. Other applicable industry experience may be considered. Experience leading technical teams.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and the ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels within Hexion and at customer locations.
- Demonstrated experience in managing/leading/motivating other technical professionals, preferably in a high-performance, team-oriented environment.
- Highly organized and self- directed.
- Strong computer skills with experience in Excel, WORD, PowerPoint.
- Background or experience with design of experiment (DOE’s).
- Physical Requirements of the job
- Ability to work safely in Hexion and customer environments.
- Ability to lift 50 pound pails on a regular basis
- Ability to wear a respirator and pass a respirator fit test
- Travel – 15% to other Hexion labs and customer sites
- B.S. Degree in Chemistry, Engineering, Material Science, or Wood Science or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Master’s Degree is preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, minority status, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any characteristic protected by law.
In order to be considered for this position candidates are required to submit an application for employment through our career site, be at least 18 years of age, willing to take a drug test , submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process, as well as additional periodic background checks as required by the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards (CFATS) or regulations adopted by the Department of Homeland Security or other regulatory agencies
Candidates are required to have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.
If currently an employee of the Company, you must have current satisfactory work performance and in most cases, have been in your current role 18 months.
Disclaimer: We are not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms/employment agencies for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee about this position. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee of the Company via email, the Internet or in any other form and/or method without a valid written search firm agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of the Company; no fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by the Company as a result of the unsolicited referral or through other means.
Job Type: FullTime