Chemistry Equipment and Technical Assistant
GRINNELL COLLEGE. The Department of Chemistry invites applications for a
Chemistry Equipment and Technical Assistant (12 month position, start August 2021).
The Chemistry Equipment and Technical Assistant has responsibilities for technical support of equipment (instrumentation) and instruction in the Chemistry Department. The assistant will perform regular maintenance, repair, and troubleshooting on laboratory, demonstration, and research equipment in the department and coordinate with the college’s Information Technology Services on computer support as necessary. The assistant will also prepare materials for teaching laboratories and demonstrations, and provide support for faculty and student research.
• Bachelor’s degree and five years of experience or an equivalent combination of higher education and experience.
• Knowledge of chemistry
• Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, and strong work ethic.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to manage multiple ongoing tasks and shift between work duties seamlessly.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to work with students in a supervisory capacity.
• Values diversity, equity and inclusion
• Ability to perform maintenance and repair on a wide range of department equipment
• Chemistry knowledge to properly handle chemicals, understand the risks of those chemicals, and to use the chemicals to prepare accurate solutions/reagents for teaching laboratories and class demonstrations
Selected candidate must successfully pass a background check prior to first day of employment.
Specific questions about this search should be directed to Professor Elizabeth Trimmer, at email@example.com or 641-269-4398.