The Associate Scientist supports the Research and Development efforts at AMVAC Chemical Company through the development and enhancement of the science that provide the company with a competitive advantage in the agricultural chemicals market. Processes developed will have lower cost of manufacture (raw materials, conversion and capital), environmentally sustainable manufacturing profiles (minimal waste) and are safe to operate. This position mentors Chemist levels within the Technology Group, supports the Scientist Levels and reports to the Group Leaders.
- Working under the direction of senior lab staff, performs chemistry research within AMVAC laboratories and/or with various outside entities, e.g., physical chemical transformations, testing of raw materials, running sample batches of current products, investigating processing conditions to define manufacturing process conditions, etc.
- Records and reports results in a timely manner as directed. Conducts work safely. Other assignments as necessary and directed by lab management.
- Practices excellent housekeeping that leads to an accident free workplace.
- Maintains a laboratory presence and skill set capable of addressing various process chemistry problems that may arise with current and new AMVAC products.
- Successfully troubleshoots any process/manufacturing problems that may arise with AMVAC products with emphasis on: minimal economic impact to the company, minimum speed to resolution, maximum communication and internal coordination, durable solution.
- Develops new process concepts and improves processes that AMVAC can use to differentiate itself from competitors or that are needed within the business.
- Reviews daily output of laboratory results and consults with operations, environmental and process chemistry.
- Complies and ensures compliance with all regulatory safety requirements and with all regulatory environmental requirements.
- Complies and ensures compliance with all company policies, practices and lawful directives.
- Performs other assignments as necessary and directed by management.
Bachelor’s degree in science is required. Candidates with an advanced degree in chemistry or chemical engineering will be given added consideration.
- 0 to 5 years’ experience with a PhD.
- 5 to 10 years’ experience with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Advanced chemistry training (synthetic organic, analytical or formulation) in a development, process support, or research lab is preferred. Experience in an analytical or environmental lab is a plus.