The Optical Society (OSA) is recruiting for an OPN Associate Editor. This position provides editing, copyediting and print/online production support for Optics & Photonics News, the flagship magazine of The Optical Society. The AE manages and edits the front-of-book features for the magazine, edits occasional feature article content, writes and edits news stories on recent scientific research and career issues as assigned, handles the social-media effort for OPN, contributes to the social-media effort of OSA’s larger Publications Department, and contributes to other interdepartmental initiatives as assigned.
Front-of-book and departments editor for OPN
- Work with OPN Senior Editor and external volunteer contributing editors to develop ideas, calendar and content for OPN’s “Pulses” section (departments/columns).
- Schedule, solicit, and follow up with authors on content for Pulses; maintain rolling publication schedule; report to OPN Senior Editor on schedule and plan.
- Edit Pulses content for OPN length, audience, and house style; work with authors and OPN Creative Director to develop sources for visuals and images; follow through to article production.
- Drawing on online postings and other source material, assemble, edit to fit, and work with Creative Director on layout of monthly “Newsroom,” “OSA Update,” and “Calendar” sections.
- Perform occasional substantive edits or rewrites of 3,000-word feature articles, on topics related to optical physics and engineering, for OPN length, audience, and house style, as assigned by OPN Senior Editor.
- Top-edit and contribute to quarterly OSA Europe News newsletter as assigned by OPN Senior Editor.
News stories for online Newsroom
- Up to once per week, drawing on press releases, scientific papers, and other resources as time permits, write news stories on recent scientific development in optics and photonics and on career development issues for scientists, based on story assignment from OPN Senior Editor. Stage stories online for approval and publishing by OPN Senior Editor.
- As assigned by OPN Senior Editor, edit and stage online news stories from freelance contributors for approval and publishing by OPN Senior Editor.
Social-media management for OPN
- Post stories from OPN on OPN Twitter account and OSA Facebook page.
- Work with OSA communications team on social media scheduling and on OPN’s role in corporate social-media strategy. Track and report on activity.
- Make recommendations to OPN Senior Editor for social-media metrics, goals, tactics and strategy.
- Assist with issue editorial and production logistics, including quality review of articles and monthly issue proof book, selected correspondence, securing copyright, digital asset management, etc., as directed by OPN Senior Editor.
- Attend and participate in weekly OPN planning meeting and monthly art meeting.
- Other responsibilities as directed by OPN Senior Editor.
Education and experience:
- Four-year degree in English, communications or a related subject. A strong background in science and technology topics and culture is highly desirable. Candidates with a degree in a physical or biological science will also be considered if they have appropriate/relevant editorial and writing experience.
- Three to five years’ experience editing and writing about topics for a scientific audience in news, feature or magazine formats, with relevant clips.
- Strong time- and project-management skills.
Skills and abilities:
- Solid, professional-level editorial, copyediting, proofreading, writing, and research skills.
- Ability to meet multiple deadlines, coordinate details and work independently.
- Excellent communication and teamwork.
- Experience communicating/writing in multiple contexts, for audiences at multiple levels of technical sophistication.
- Strong interest in science and technology issues; demonstrated ability to quickly come up to speed on unfamiliar technical topics.
- Knowledge of print and web publishing.
- Solid skills with Microsoft Office suite required; hands-on experience with Adobe Creative Suite and web content management tools strongly preferred.
- Image- and multimedia-editing skills desirable.
Located in the Dupont Circle neighborhood of Washington, DC, OSA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Please send cover letter and resume with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.