Department of Chemistry, Harvey Mudd College
Harvey Mudd College invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position in chemistry at the rank of Assistant Professor, beginning fall 2022. Candidates with expertise in any area of chemistry are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching undergraduates and a strong independent research program that can contribute to our undergraduate research activities, which include summer research and senior thesis. A Ph.D. is required and postdoctoral research experience is desirable.
Harvey Mudd College is committed to broadening participation in STEM fields. Therefore, experience with or demonstrated ability to teach, mentor, and support students from historically underrepresented groups in STEM is among the criteria for appointment. Your written materials, including your cover letter, research statement, and teaching statement, should address your interests, experiences and future plans for promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Harvey Mudd College is a highly selective liberal arts college of science, engineering and mathematics. It is located in Claremont, CA, which is approximately 35 miles east of Los Angeles, at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains. The college enrolls about 900 students, almost all of whom live on campus, and is a member of the Claremont Colleges, which comprises five undergraduate colleges, the Claremont Graduate University, and the Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences. Harvey Mudd College is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the recruitment of candidates historically underrepresented on college faculties.
The Department of Chemistry at Harvey Mudd College has been recognized as a leader in teaching, research, undergraduate research mentoring, and educational outreach. The teaching load is five courses per year, which includes research supervision and courses in the college's Common Core Curriculum. Candidates are invited to learn more about the college (http://www.hmc.edu/), the department (https://www.hmc.edu/chemistry/), and the Common Core Curriculum (https://www.hmc.edu/academics/common-core-curriculum/) .
Applications must be submitted through the AcademicJobsOnline website. Review of applications will begin September 20, 2021, and continue until the position is filled. Priority will be given to applications completed by September 20, 2021. Applicants should submit:
- A cover letter. To further assist the search committee in its screening process, all cover letters should address your interest in the liberal arts and Harvey Mudd College in particular, and how you envision your research and teaching interests can contribute to the department and College.
- A current curriculum vitae
- A statement about your intended research program, including how you would involve undergraduates in research (typically 2-3 pages).
- A statement about your teaching philosophy: describe principles, practices, or experiences that inform the way you teach (typically 1-2 pages).
- Three letters of recommendation. At least one letter should specifically address teaching.
- Academic transcripts from undergraduate and graduate institutions
- As a reminder, your written materials should address your interests, experiences, and future plans with diversity, equity and inclusion.
AcademicJobsOnline link: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/18889
For further information or questions about the position contact: Prof. Karl Haushalter (firstname.lastname@example.org), Chair, Department of Chemistry.
Harvey Mudd College is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination, harassment, and disrespectful or other unprofessional conduct.