The Shared Research Facilities (SRF) within West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a BioNano Research Facility Manager. This position reports to the Director of the SRF and is responsible for management and operations of the BioNano Research Facility (BNRF). BRNF instrumentation includes tools for chemical analysis for complex compounds and mixtures arising from biological and materials systems. The facility primarily utilizes techniques and methods associated with the fields of proteomics, metabolomics, and petroleomics. The facility is one of four cores comprising the SRF, which is a fee-for use facility open to WVU users from a variety of colleges, as well as external users. The BNRF Manager is responsible for the maintenance and operations of all the instrumentation. Additionally, he/she provides both training to users for independent operation of the tools and full-service operation on behalf of a PI or external client. The position also requires business acumen to recruit users/projects, track usage/projects, invoice for usage/projects, and ensure revenue generation to cover expenses.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Operate, maintain, repair, and provide instruction/training for instrumentation within the BNRF including but not limited to UHPLC, LC-MS/MS with Orbitrap, electrophoresis, CD spectrometry, fluorescence microscopy, and similar tools as may be added to the BNRF.
- Recruit WVU PIs whose research would benefit from usage of BNRF instrumentation.
- Participate and assist PIs with experimental design and associated cost estimating and with proposal development and publication of potential or current research projects.
- Provide instruction and training of mass spectrometry sample preparations, applications and analyses, or conduct sample preparation as needed/desired by the PI or client and the BNRF.
- Perform administrative duties including monthly reporting, usage tracking, estimating, and invoicing.
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biology or a related area with an emphasis on analytical methods usage/development and high-resolution mass spectrometry, in particular.
- Two (2) years of experience working with research clientele in a service setting
- Maintain skills in, or knowledge of, professional principles, legal and/or reporting requirements affecting area of responsibility.
- Knowledge and proven expertise in High Performance Liquid Chromatography tandem and quadrupole Mass Spectrometry including experimental design, methods development, instrument operation and troubleshooting
- Ability to use specialized software to interpret results
- Knowledge of chemical characterization techniques.
- Knowledge of proteomics.
- Knowledge of Fluorescence Spectroscopy.
- Knowledge of the physical principles underlying scientific instruments and instrument programming techniques
- Knowledge of laboratory safety and chemical hygiene practices
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
- Names of three professional references
- Valid driver's license
- This position may require Medical Monitoring, including periodic health monitoring and/or training
About Research Corporation
West Virginia University Research Corporation is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. West Virginia University Research Corporation values diversity among its employees and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.