Sasol Chemicals has an opening for a Metalworking & Lubricants Scientist in the Applications Research team. This position will report through the Research and Development Department located at the Lake Charles Chemical Complex. Below are some details of the position requirements:
Sasol is a global integrated chemicals and energy company spanning 30 countries. Through our talented people, we use our expertise and selected technologies to safely and sustainably source, manufacture and market chemical and energy products globally. Sustainability has become a major driver in our business where we advance chemical and energy solutions that contribute to a thriving planet, society and enterprise. In support, we have prioritized four relevant Sustainable Development Goals to ensure our business is environmentally, socially and economically sustainable.
Sasol offers a comprehensive total rewards package with market-related compensation and benefits that are consistent across our sites in the USA. The total rewards package is competitive within our industry and is designed to attract and retain our most valuable assets - our employees. Come be a part of our Growing Team.
Purpose of the job:
Support the Lake Charles Metalworking and Industrial Lubrication research efforts, in line with global business strategies and objectives to ensure profitable growth. Develop, formulate, and test new products for use in metalworking and industrial lubricants. Strategically demonstrate the utility of existing and experimental Sasol products in MWL applications to achieve specialty chemical sales. Provide technical support at conferences and customer meetings as needed. Mentor and develop less experienced R&D team members.
- Provides technical expertise and support to research team; leads significant technical initiatives within R&D and the site
- Works with global cross functional team to develop and commercialize new products.
- Provides formulation and application expertise utilizing existing and new products for a variety of MWL applications
- Understands technical requirements and recommends R&D objectives, defines what is needed in terms of equipment, etc. and sets appropriate priorities and project goals with supervisor and project teams to meet technical needs
- Responsible for method development, operation and maintenance of instrumentation in their area(s) of expertise, and communication of accurate and timely analytical results
- Develops and maintains an effective network with key stakeholders, such as technical peers within R&D, to efficiently meet technical goals
- Responsible for reporting US R&D activity into Global Sales and R&D teams
- Evaluates, documents, and presents technical results
- Demonstrates competencies regarding key standard techniques commonly used in the laboratory
- Responsible for generating new ideas to identify unexplored applications and product offerings for developing intellectual property in the fields of metal working and lubricants
- Ability to travel as needed, COVID permitting
- Adheres to safety, health, and environmental procedures
- Bachelor's Degree required, ideally Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- Master’s Degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering; PhD preferred
- Solid foundation in chemistry is required
- Minimum 5 years of research & development experience
- Background in metalworking or industrial lubrication required
- Formulation knowledge and experience required
- Knowledge of tribology preferred
- Experience providing technical support to customers required
- Experience commercializing new products required
- R&D Project management experience required: Plan, initiate, and run projects to conclusion with necessary interaction with R&D, Marketing and Sales, and customers
- Ability to effectively solve problems and reach data based conclusions in multiple technical areas
Required Personal and Professional Skills:
- Effective interpersonal skills to work with internal and external customers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Customer Focused
- Solutions Driven