The Senior Principal Scientist provides scientific and regulatory expertise and leverages scientific networks to enable the development and execution of Mars Wrigley (MW) Scientific and Regulatory Affairs (SRA) strategy. This position leads the development and execution of SRA strategy to proactively manage critical ingredients/additives and food contact materials (FCM).
This position creates and coordinates global aligned regulatory and scientific messaging and represents Mars Wrigley (MW) in key external organizations to create a scientifically based regulatory environment.
What are we looking for?
- PhD in toxicology, chemistry, biochemistry, or veterinarian or in related scientific discipline.
- 5 years of relevant experience within food industry/company.
- 10-15 years experience and solid proficiency in regulatory & scientific affairs focused on ingredient issues management in food products and packaging and/or related product categories (such as food supplements, cosmetics).
- A solid working knowledge of global food SRA topics, particularly related to additive/ingredient and FCM; proven ability to translate and communicate scientific data and regulatory trends into tangible action plans to meet or exceed business objectives; demonstrated track record of working successfully across functions at varying levels of leadership to achieve shared goals; and proven ability to interact cross-functionally at all levels within the organization are required.
- Experience working with trade associations and government agencies to clarify and resolve regulatory matters is required.
- 15% international travel.
What would your key responsibilities be?
The Senior Principal Scientist develops and leads the development and execution of SRA strategy to manage critical ingredients/additives, and food contact materials (FCM). The position applies knowledge in toxicology, physiology, chemistry, regulatory and scientific affairs as well as leverages external networks to lead technical issues critical to MW.
TECHNICAL INGREDENT/ADDITIVE MANAGEMENT
Leads the global management of key regulatory and technical scientific issues for MW, with a focus on critical ingredients/additives. The role is strongly connected with Science & Technology, regional SRA teams, other Mars businesses and Mars Corporate SRA team. The role ensures current SRA risks as well as emerging risks in the regulatory and scientific domain are appropriately communicated and proactively addressed to ensure the business’ continued freedom to grow.
Develops and communicates science-based information and positions and provides regulatory guidance to key internal stakeholders (R&D, Corporate Affairs, Legal, and Senior Management) on current and emerging scientific and regulatory issues of interest to MW.
Develops and maintains strong scientific networks, and works with other Mars segments to establish science policy and influence scientific opinions, external scientific environment and key opinion leaders that benefit and further the company’s innovation and growth strategies on a global scale.
FOOD CONTACT MATERIALS (FCM)
Leads SRA aspects of MW FCM strategy, provides leadership and guidance across the SRA function and the business on a global scale. Proactively validates compliance and prepares the business for the use of new and novel FCM in critical markets globally to support packaging goals, particularly those tied to Mars’ sustainability commitments.
Directs the development and deployment of Global FCM business processes, systems, and standards in partnership with regional experts. Leads MW FCM Community of Practice, is a key resource to regional SRA associates to ensure timely support.
LEADERSHIP and EXPERTISE
Develops guidelines and policies and ensures governance and compliance to these and others applicable to SRA.
Keeps abreast of key developments in key ingredients/additives and FCM via horizon scanning, literature reviews, meeting attendance, and participation in trade association activities so that potential impact to MW and Mars Inc., can be proactively addressed.
Is a thought leader with a solutions-oriented mindset, providing strategic and technical advice to address complex initiatives over varying time horizons.
What can you expect from Mars?
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package.
- To be respected and valued.
- The Five Principles at the center of every decision
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.