Postdoctoral Scholar for AI-Accelerated Synthesis of Colloidal Nanoparticles - 93521
Organization: MF-Molecular Foundry
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Molecular Foundry Division (https://foundry.lbl.gov/) has an opening for a Postdoctoral Scholar for AI-Accelerated Synthesis of Colloidal Nanoparticles to join the team.
In this exciting role, you will lead efforts to harness robotic synthesis and machine learning-guided discovery of upconverting nanoparticle heterostructures for emerging optoelectronic, biological, and manufacturing applications.
What You Will Do:
• Lead efforts to synthesize lanthanide-doped upconverting nanoparticle heterostructures under kinetic or thermodynamic control by using automated synthesis robots at the Molecular Foundry.
• Characterize the structure of synthesized materials using techniques including XRD, TEM, SEM, SAXS.
• Characterize the optical properties of upconverting nanoparticles.
• Develop new high-throughput workflows (chemistry + instrumentation + software) for synthesis and characterization.
• Collaborate with machine learning experts to develop models for predicting optical properties of these materials.
What is Required:
• Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science, or a related field.
• Experience with chemical synthesis (e.g., inorganic, organic, organometallic, polymer, materials).
• Experience characterizing the physical properties of materials using techniques such as TEM, SEM, XRD, optical spectroscopy, or microscopy.
• Basic understanding of programming in environments such as Python, Java, Labview, etc.
• Expertise in performing quantitative data analysis using software such as Matlab or Igor Pro.
• Ability to quickly learn new computer software (e.g., for designing high-throughput experiments).
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to maintain accurate, detailed, and clear experimental records.
• Proactive in identifying, implementing, and following safety protocols.
• Strong record of publication in peer-reviewed journals.
• Expertise in the air-free synthesis of colloidal nanoparticles.
• Expertise in combinatorial or high-throughput chemistry.
• Experience building or automating instruments.
• Expertise in lanthanide photophysics or modeling.
• Experience with organic chemistry.
• Familiarity with machine learning concepts.
• This is a full-time 1 year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience. Salary for Postdoctoral positions depends on years of experience post-degree.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
• Salary will be predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=206338 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA, https://diversity.lbl.gov/ideaberkeleylab/) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law" and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.