Brookhaven National Laboratory seeks an outstanding research leader for the position of Chair of the Chemistry Division. The successful candidate will be a distinguished scientist with an exceptional research record in chemical sciences or a closely related field and extensive leadership experience in scientific research. The Chemistry Division has approximately eighty personnel including postdoctoral researchers and graduate students, and research staff include joint appointments at Stony Brook University and Columbia University. With a total annual budget of $18M, the Division is engaged in fundamental and applied research to enable new energy conversion and storage technologies, with programs in catalysis, solar photochemistry and radiation chemistry, electrochemical energy storage and electrocatalysis. Division researchers in nuclear chemistry also partner in international collaborations advancing particle physics investigations of neutrinos and other weakly interacting particles. Research in the division is strengthened by close interaction with Brookhaven National Laboratory’s leading facility capabilities including National Synchrotron Light Source II, the Center for Functional Nanomaterials, and the division’s own Accelerator Center for Energy Research. Further information on the Chemistry Division is available at https://www.bnl.gov/chemistry/
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Chemistry Chair reports to the Director of Energy Sciences within the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate. The Chair is responsible for Chemistry Division performance and drives the chemical sciences strategy across BNL. Essential responsibilities include:
- Advance and promote a dynamic and world-recognized R&D program in chemical sciences that fosters innovation through collaborations within the laboratory and with researchers at universities and other national laboratories.
- Develop and drive a long-term vision for chemical sciences research at Brookhaven, with a focus on energy-relevant basic research that capitalizes on the Division’s expertise and unique BNL capabilities.
- Manage strategy, staff, and performance of the Division as a whole, including line management of the Division’s leadership team and attraction and development of a diverse and engaged division workforce.
- Represent and communicate the Division’s activities and needs to all stakeholders, including DOE Basic Energy Sciences, Chemical Sciences, Geosciences and Bioscience division, a primary sponsor of division programs.
- Promote a safety culture within the Division and ensure good environmental safety, and health performance.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a closely related field.
- Distinguished record of research in chemical sciences, as reflected by publications, funded research, and peer recognition.
- At least 15 years of relevant experience including five years of operational, management, and supervisory experience in a research institution, and with a record of safe research operations.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results through motivating people, leading teams with complementary strengths, building consensus, and problem-solving in a team environment.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with DOE programs, DOE Office of Science and US National Laboratories.
Brookhaven National Laboratory offers excellent benefits and compensation including medical, dental, and vision care plans, a lab-funded retirement plan, and a 401(k) plan.
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor