The Impact You’ll Make in this Role:
As a Senior Researcher you will have the opportunity to tap into your curiosity and collaborate with some of the most innovative and diverse people around the company. You will develop and advance 3M’s 51 technology platforms, used to create new products to solve customer problems across many business segments and end markets.
At 3M, you will advance key materials and process technologies that include:
- Nanomaterials, metamaterials, advanced composites, biomaterials, optical coatings, and adhesives
- Microreplication, additive manufacturing, advanced robotics, nonwovens, polymer processing, chemical processing, precision coating, surface modification, and analytical sciences
These technologies are leveraged across products that include medical respirators; oral care composites; air, water and biopharmaceutical filtration; optical display films; reflective signage and safety apparel; and industrial, consumer, and medical adhesive tapes. 3M offers over 55,000 products that are helping customers in end markets such as consumer electronics, medical care, industrial manufacturing, and safety products.
Here, you will make an impact by:
- Inventing technologies and capabilities that create and enable new products and product platforms
- Communicating results through high quality technical reports, presentations, publications, and patent applications
- Monitoring advances in field of expertise and maintain awareness of competitive technologies
- Collaborating with global research teams across the company
Your Skills and Expertise
To set you up for success in this role from day one, 3M is looking for candidates who must have the following qualifications:
- Currently possess or are in the last year of pursuing a Ph.D. Doctoral program, or a Post-Doctoral fellowship, in science or engineering from an accredited institution
Additional qualifications that could help you succeed further in this role include:
- Expertise in at least one of the following: mechatronics, metamaterials, optical materials, precision patterning and coating, adhesives, polymer physics, polymer processing, emulsion polymerization, radiation curing, polymer synthesis, organic synthesis, chemical process design, high throughput chemistry, computational chemistry, materials informatics, polymer characterization, rheology, mass spectrometry, optics, atomic force microscopy, nanomechanical characterization, spectroscopy, flow simulation, viscoelastic fluid mechanics, computational fluid dynamics, data analytics, bioanalysis, molecular biology, biochemistry, gene expression, immunology, microbiology, wound healing
- Highly skilled in data analysis and the use of designed experiments
- Strong scientific and technical acumen, with demonstrated interest and ability to make connections between science/technology and real-world concerns
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity of early-stage scouting and evaluation of new opportunities and the flexibility to change direction as additional information becomes available
- Demonstrated scientific excellence as evidenced by publications and presentations
- Demonstrated leadership and networking skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic/international
Relocation Assistance: May be authorized
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).