The Biosciences Division (BSD) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is focused on advancing science and technology to better understand complex biological systems and their relationship with the environment. BSD has expertise and special facilities in genomics, computational biology, microbiology, microbial ecology, biophysics, and structural biology, mass-spectrometry-based omics, and plant sciences. Research experiments include large-scale laboratory, greenhouse, and field experimental data acquisition, management, organization, and analysis to derive insight and hypotheses suitable for further experimental validation and to improve researchers’ ability to further advance understanding of biological systems.
The Biosciences Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking an analytical biochemist to contribute to multiple projects including our Plant-Microbe Interfaces Science Focus Area (pmi.ornl.org), the Center for Bioenergy Innovation (cbi.ornl.gov), and internal efforts on enzyme engineering. The ideal candidate would lead efforts involving the high-throughput identification and analysis of diverse enzymes. Examples include enzymes for plant metabolite biosynthesis, biomass and polymer degradation, and microbial metabolism. For these studies, you will design and execute laboratory experiments, maintain detailed and accurate records, analyze quantitative data, and communicate results to the scientific community through presentations and publications. These multi-disciplinary and multi-institutional projects require a team-oriented, collaborative spirit. Projects will involve close collaboration with other scientists, for example in plant sciences, microbiology, and computational sciences.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with current ORNL staff to develop a distinguishing research program in analytical biochemistry that is integral to ongoing research programs
- Develop and apply measurement technologies for the high-throughput and/or detailed characterization of biomolecular interactions
- Lead and contribute to scientific research that results in scientific publications
- Present results both informally (e.g., in internal meetings) and formally to sponsors and research peers (e.g., conferences)
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Mentor less experienced staff members, students, or interns
- Maintain a culture of continued learning
- Work with a diverse team of scientists
- Interface directly with internal and external partners in various disciplines
- Participate in project planning and execution
- Maintain detailed and accurate records
- Acquire and analyze data in keeping with project scheduling
- Take a position of leadership for day-to-day laboratory operations while addressing ORNL’s environmental health and safety requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A doctoral degree and post-doctoral experience in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, chemical engineering, or a related field
- Expertise with experimental design and data processing for targeted and untargeted metabolite analysis
- Experience with enzyme expression, purification, and characterization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate in English to a scientific audience.
- Proven record of accomplishment
- Desire to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Familiarity with diverse biochemical and biophysical characterization methods, such as mass spectrometry, neutron and x-ray scattering, NMR, Raman spectroscopy, calorimetry, etc.
- Experience with enzyme engineering
- Experience collaborating with experts in structural and computational biochemistry
This position is a permanent, full-time appointment, contingent on successful performance and continued funding.
For additional information please see:
-Biosciences at ORNL: http://www.ornl.gov/sci/ees/bsd/
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.