Monolith, located in Lincoln, NE, is excited to announce its search for a Lead Scientist.
At Monolith we apply scientific principles, engineering practices and a lot of hard work to solve real problems that have a global impact. We use sophisticated analysis methods, advanced manufacturing techniques, and often even our hands to build first of its kind technologies. We do not compromise on safety, quality or performance. If you want to solve tough problems, build real things, and have a big impact then you should join us.
The Lead Scientist is responsible for organizing and operating the company’s analytical equipment in order to characterize carbon black made through Monolith’s proprietary process. Organization of resulting data and continuous improvement of data collection techniques are required. Some of the state of the art analytical techniques include: Surface area analysis via gas adsorption (BET), titration analysis of carbon black samples, particle histogram via SEM and TEM, oil absorption number (OAN) analysis, surface energy measurement, XRD and other techniques.
- Arrange and categorize all experiments
- Write summary reports of research, data, and resultant conclusions
- Perform applications analysis; inks, plastics, rubber, batteries, etc
- Demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction
- Continuously improve the analytical and application data collection and the organization of said data
- Participate in brainstorming and problem solving in a team setting to identify solutions.
- Mentor direct reports and less experienced employees
- Performs other duties as needed
- Organized: Ability to intelligently categorize information in a method that is intuitive to others
- Reliable: Consistent delivery on timelines
- Cogent: Efficiently explain research to the other members of the team
- Coachable: Willing to accept feedback and learn from experience
- Resilient: Perform well under pressure with a low ego that thrives on the team's success
- Inquisitive: Willingness and desire to learn
- Creative: Problem solver who challenges previous assumptions and methods to continuously improve and solve challenges; relentlessly pursues a better solution
- Adaptable: Demonstrated ability to adapt and change in a dynamic and evolving environment with grit, passion and perseverance
- Committed to our values
- Safety matters most
- Think like a Team
- Solve the impossible, embrace reality
- People make the difference
- Decisions drive results
- Generosity of spirit
- Enjoy the ride
Candidate must also demonstrate a high level of safety awareness and conviction. Adherence and commitment to Monolith’s SHE philosophy and procedures is a must.
- PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, or materials science or related field required and 5+ years of industry experience
- OR BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science with 10-20 years of experience
- An equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the job duties and responsibilities.
- Experience managing 2+ employees and promoting safe, strong work ethic, harmonious work environment
- Ability and confidence to give Safety approval for complex chemical experiments without need to consult supervision
- Ability to manage every aspect of project as true principal investigator from devising the experiments to motivating employees, evaluating safety, executing complex plan and then evaluating results
- Familiarity with statistical analysis metrics of analytical techniques or willingness to learn about these metrics
- Will be an open office setting
- Less than 10% travel may be required for visiting other Monolith sites in the Lincoln area