The Energy Storage and Conversion Manufacturing Group in the Electrification Section of the Energy Science and Technology Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is seeking applicants for a Technical Professional / Engineer to conduct research on electrode dispersion formulation chemistry, electrode coating technology, multilayer electrode architecture design, roll-to-roll (R2R) manufacturing science, next-generation cell designs, advanced battery testing and diagnostics, and cell post-mortem analysis for next-generation intercalation batteries, solid-state batteries, (PEM) proton exchange membrane fuel cells and electrolyzers. The successful candidate will also be expected to operate multiple pieces of experimental pilot roll-to-roll (R2R) equipment, troubleshoot existing and new equipment, assist in cell design and testing, and work with advanced battery, fuel cell, and electrolyzer professionals. This position resides in the Department of Energy (DOE) Battery Manufacturing R&D Facility (BMF) at ORNL.
Major Duties / Responsibilities
- Carry out work on the formulation chemistry and science of anode and cathode dispersions for next-generation lithium-ion batteries (LIBs), PEM fuel cells, Solid Oxide Fuel Cells, and electrolyzers.
- Support the design of multilayer, thick electrode architectures for simultaneous high-energy and high-power LIB electrodes.
- Support the design of thin multilayer anodes and cathodes for PEM fuel cells and electrolyzers with tailored material composition gradients.
- Support of R2R coating deposition and scale-up methods for the novel electrode.
- Operation of R2R coating lines that utilize UV and electron beam curing.
- Operation of R2R freeze tape casting line.
- Develop techniques and strategies for cell electrochemical measurements and post-mortem analysis.
- Evaluate electrochemical performance in large format cells.
- Assist principle investigators in delivering milestones for projects.
- Contribute to high impact journal papers on transformational battery, fuel cell, and electrolyzer technologies.
- Network and develop collaboration with other groups and divisions internally and with other national labs, industry, and utilities.
- B.S. or M.S. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Electrochemistry, Materials Science or closely related field.
- Experience in materials process, electrode engineering and cell fabrication.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with record of publications.
- Strong ability/aptitude to contribute to proposal writing, write reports, and publish journal papers and patents.