The Senior Process Chemist is responsible for executing the scale up of small molecule products in the company’s commercialization pipeline. Core activities include: optimizing synthetic processes to transition production from gram-scale synthesis to multi-kg scale production; managing contract research organizations to execute pilot scale production of key intermediates; applying statistical methods to understand process variability and using the findings to develop product specifications; identifying the structure and source of impurities present in final products and collaborating with R&D staff to understand their impact on product performance; and supporting product formulation development. This position has room for advancement and provides the opportunity to be part of an interdisciplinary team bringing innovative and sustainable new crop protection products to market
ABOUT ASCRIBE BIOSCIENCE:
Ascribe Bioscience is an early-stage, venture-backed startup company located in Ithaca, NY in the heart of the beautiful Finger Lakes region. The company’s mission is to make agriculture more productive and sustainable by developing non-toxic products that enable farmers to protect crops and increase yields without harming the environment or human health. Our products are based on breakthrough discoveries in chemistry and plant science and our team works with world-class scientific advisors to develop sustainable crop protection products based on signaling molecules from the soil microbiome. Ascribe is an equal opportunity employer.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Masters degree or PhD in organic chemistry, chemical engineering, or a closely related discipline with 5+ years of experience scaling chemical processes in an industrial setting.
· Hands-on experience moving chemical processes from bench to pilot and/or manufacturing scale.
· Demonstrated technical leadership and interpersonal skills. Ideal candidate will have prior experience managing projects and technical team members
· Familiarity with Design of Experiments and prior experience applying statistical methods to evaluate process variability and impacts on product quality is highly desirable
· Must be authorized to work in the US
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Must have the ability to work independently, take initiative, and prioritize multiple assignments with attention to detail and deadlines in a fast-paced environment
· Must have the ability to establish effective relationships and work in a team environment to meet company goals
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to execute on multiple projects and solve problems in a fast-paced start-up environment