This Technical Service Project Chemist will be responsible for performing laboratory analysis and leading projects in support of Safe, Compliant and Reliable operation of CF’s Ammonia, Urea, Nitric Acid and Ammonium Nitrate production facilities. This position will require extensive instrumental and bench chemist activity as well as direct interaction with Process Engineers and Chemists at all CF Industries locations, terminals, and suppliers. The position will produce monthly summary reports of activities. The position will work closely with one or more chemists and chemical analysts. The position will work closely with the Manufacturing Group Quality Manager. Some North American travel to CF’s manufacturing sites will be required. This position requires a commitment to CF’s values of “Do-It-Right.”
- Develop and lead analytical chemistry projects including indirect supervision of one or more chemical technicians in support of projects in the Technical Service lab.
- Will champion projects that result in development of new analytical chemistry methods.
- Will represent CF on various Industry and/or trade association Chemistry Standards Councils and Committees as required.
- Supports Engineers with process analysis and special sample requests.
- Supports all site laboratories with implementation of new Methods Development and Harmonization.
- Supports all site laboratories with Instrumentation troubleshooting, training in operation, methods implementation.
- Supports Sales with special customer analytical requests as necessary.
- Reports and communicates progress on each major area of responsibility to management.
Successful incumbents will have:
- Master’s degree, Chemistry minimum, PhD, Chemistry highly desired.
- Demonstrated Applied Analytical Chemistry or Industrial Chemical Technical Laboratory support skills are required.
- Expertise with one or more of these; Gas/Liquid/Ion Chromatography, UV/VIS and FT-IR Spectroscopy, SEM Microscopy, Physical-chemical analysis, Calorimeters, other Advanced Analytical Chemistry skills. Strong Chromatography skills considered essential for success in this role.
- Petrochemical laboratory operating experience Highly Desired. Success in this position requires the ability to understand CF’s core production processes and apply Analytical Chemistry skills to support Continuous Improvement in these operating processes.
- Experience with materials characterization, bulk solids and liquids characterization and contaminant isolation and identification highly desired.
- Fundamental understanding of engineering principles valuable; heat and material balance, heat transfer, solids mixing, blending and handling.
- Industrial bulk chemical experience highly desired
- Experience with Statistical Data analysis, data modeling, and/or regression analysis techniques
- Excellent mechanical skills as many projects require design, construction, assembly and maintenance of lab and/or pilot scale equipment
- Strong oral and written presentation and communication skills required including fluency with Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
This position is located in Yazoo City, MS with expectations to travel throughout North America to perform necessary job functions. This position will routinely interact with site lab supervisors to resolve analytical chemistry problems at their respective sites, identify and implement new and improved analytical methods, and coordinate activity with contract analytical chemistry labs as necessary.