Battery Electrode Slurry Formulation Technician
Working at NREL The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado is the nation's primary laboratory for research and development of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies. From day one at NREL, you’ll connect with coworkers driven by the same mission to save the planet. By joining an organization that values a supportive, inclusive, and flexible work environment, you’ll have the opportunity to engage through our eight employee resource groups, numerous employee-driven clubs, and learning and professional development classes.
NREL supports inclusive, diverse, and unbiased hiring practices that promote creativity and innovation. By collaborating with organizations that focus on diverse talent pools, reaching out to underrepresented demographics, and providing an inclusive application and interview process, our Talent Acquisition team aims to hear all voices equally. We strive to attract a highly diverse workforce and create a culture where every employee feels welcomed and respected and they can be their authentic selves.
Job Description The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado is the nation’s primary laboratory for research and development of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies.
A Research Technician position is available in the Materials, Chemical, and Computational Sciences Directorate to conduct research towards the development of battery electrode slurry formulations and electrode coating processes. You will be part of a team of scientists, engineers, postdoctoral researchers, and students. You will work in a collaborative team and interact with project partners at other national laboratories, universities, and companies.
- Experience formulating polymer solutions, particle dispersions, inks, or or other types of solutions/dispersions
- Possesses general research laboratory skills, such as the ability to set-up and operate lab equipment and instrumentation, handle chemicals in a safe manner, and perform laboratory experiment record-keeping and data entry
- Good ability to work with computers and spreadsheet and word processing software such as Microsoft Excel™ and Word™
- Solid communication, interpersonal, and project management skills
Basic Qualifications High School Diploma or equivalent and 4 or more years of experience or equivalent related education/experience. Or, related Associate's Degree or certification program of comparable scope and 2 or more years of experience or equivalent related education/experience.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Working independently under the direction of NREL research staff
- Formulating battery electrode slurries for electrode coating
- Using rheology, zeta potential measurement, and other analytical tools to characterize slurry properties
- Developing coating processes to produce uniform electrodes
- Modifying slurry formulations and coating processes to optimize electrode performance
- Keeping accurate and detailed laboratory records
- Processing and analyzing data and reporting to team members
- Assisting technical staff with setting up and conducting experiments
- Assisting NREL researchers in keeping laboratories organized in a safe and clean fashion
- Understanding all NREL safety policies relevant to operating equipment and performing work safely
- Substantial acquaintance with and understanding of general aspects of the job with a broad understanding of the detailed aspects of the job. Intermediate to advanced skills in research techniques and practices. Good written, verbal, team, interpersonal and communication skills.