Florida Gulf Coast University
R0002072 Instructor I, Chemistry
As Instructor of Chemistry, you will teach at the undergraduate level; be involved in course and/or curriculum development; conduct research/scholarship/professional development; participate on College and University committees and/or initiatives.
Florida Gulf Coast University is a comprehensive university dedicated to quality education, research, and service. All faculty are expected to: be excellent teachers, responsive to changing professional needs; be committed to innovative delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning; be committed to effective use of technology including distance learning; produce peer reviewed scholarship; and provide service to the College, University and Community. Teaching assignments may be on the main campus or at off-campus sites within our region.
The Department of Chemistry and Physics strives to embrace and promote diversity in all its forms, not only to create a more inclusive environment for the practices of chemistry and physics, but also to provide fair and just outcomes for all to achieve their full potential. Inclusion of and respect for people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and ideas will lead to superior solutions to world challenges and advance our disciplines as global, multidisciplinary sciences.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Teaches 12 credit hours per semester of undergraduate courses in Chemistry and related subjects.
- Prepares syllabi, instruction materials, coordinates lectures, tests, and evaluates students and maintains the highest possible standard of instruction.
- Engages in reflective self-assessment of teaching styles and methods to ensure consistently effective instructional performance.
- Actively serves on university committees.
- Actively participates in institutional meetings
- Assists with the development of curriculum
- Continued professional development activity is expected at a level commensurate with the mission of the University. Community, institutional and professional service in furtherance of FGCU’s mission is expected of all faculty.
- Other duties may be assigned by the Chair.
Additional Job Description
- Master’s degree in Chemistry, or a closely-related area from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation with a minimum of 18 graduate credit hours in the discipline.
- Demonstrated potential for, or a record of, achievement in teaching lower division Chemistry courses.
- Must meet the University and College criteria for the appointment to the level of Instructor I.
- Master’s degree in Chemistry from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent accreditation.
- Experience with management of the lower division Chemistry curriculum, especially in connection with standards, scheduling, staffing, and policy implementation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience with and commitment to the use of instructional technology, a willingness to cultivate an interdisciplinary perspective,; and a demonstrated commitment to professional development.
- Experience or commitment to the use of technology in distance learning & university teaching. Interest in collaborating both within and outside the University in the development and delivery of instruction resulting in improved student learning. Must value continued scholarship and service to the school and university.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Appointment will be made on a 9-month multi-year appointment basis available August 2022.
Because applications and materials are subject to public review and retention under Florida’s Public Records Law, please DO NOT send examples of your project/scholarship unless requested to do so. Therefore all submitted materials including articles, disks, slides, books, etc., become the property of FGCU and CANNOT BE RETURNED. As applicable, finalists will be notified of the need to submit specific additional materials. Such materials will become the property of FGCU.
Under Florida’s Public Records law, applications will be available for public review upon request.
The position is listed as “open until filled”, however applications received by November 8, 2021 will receive priority consideration.
Salary: $41,000- Negotiable
FGCU is an EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability Employer