We are seeking a Synthetic Physical-Organic Chemist who will focus on the synthesis of organic porous materials, organic small molecules and materials with the focus on the separations science, especially ion separations and gas separation applications, and polymer upcycling. This position resides in the Nanomaterials Chemistry Group in the Separations and Polymer Chemistry, Chemical Sciences Division, Physical Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, you will address challenges in the design and synthesis of small molecules as well as functional nanostructured materials to advance areas of chemical separations, catalysis and energy storage. In this position, you will lead research in these areas and collaborate with researchers in areas ranging from nuclear chemistry, separations and computational chemistry. More information on the activities of the group can be found at https://www.ornl.gov/group/nanomaterials-chemistry.
- Conduct pioneering research in the synthesis of novel small molecules and materials for separations, energy storage, energy conversion and polymer upcycling
- Lead and manage large technical projects in both fundamental and applied research
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams to build an internationally recognized portfolio in the development of novel materials
- Build new programs within the Department of Energy as well as other funding agencies
- Author peer-reviewed papers, technical reports and proposals for internal and external release and present work at workshops and conferences
- A Ph.D in organic chemistry or a closely related discipline
- Experience in multi-step organic synthesis of small molecules and materials that are used in ion separations, energy storage and other energy-related applications
- In depth understanding of the organic reaction mechanisms
- Previous experience in writing proposals
- Familiarity with the following techniques is a plus: NMR, ICP-OES, XRD, HPLC, GC/LC, MS, IR, UV/vis, GPC, TGA, DSC, DLS
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.