Spectrum Brands Holdings is a home-essentials company with a mission to make living better at home. We focus on delivering innovative products and solutions to consumers for use in and around the home through our trusted brands. We are a leading supplier of residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware, plumbing, shaving and grooming products, personal care products, small household appliances, specialty pet supplies, lawn and garden and home pest control products, and personal insect repellents. Helping to meet the needs of consumers worldwide, Spectrum Brands offers a broad portfolio of market-leading, well-known and widely trusted brands including Kwikset®, Weiser®, Baldwin®, National Hardware®, Pfister®, Remington®, George Foreman®, Russell Hobbs®, Black+Decker®, Tetra®, DreamBone®, SmartBones®, Nature’s Miracle®, 8-in-1®, FURminator®, Healthy-Hide®, Good Boy®, Meowee!® , OmegaOne®, OmegaSea®, Spectracide®, Cutter®, Repel®, Hot Shot®, Rejuvenate®, Black Flag®, and Liquid Fence®. Spectrum Brands, a member of the Russell 1000 index, generated fiscal 2020 net sales of approximately $4.0 billion.
The Home & Garden business unit of Spectrum Brands is based in St. Louis, Missouri with distribution, manufacturing and sales offices throughout the US and globe. We are a leading supplier of consumer products nationally for the home, lawn and garden, insect and weed control markets. We deliver groundbreaking products of exceptional value and top-notch quality to consumers with our well-recognized brands including Spectracide®, Hot Shot®, Cutter®, Repel®, Black Flag®, Garden Safe®, EcoLogic® and Liquid Fence®.
The Analytical Chemist applies scientific expertise, analytical skills, and problem solving capabilities in support of the R&D technical team. The person in this role is expected to have knowledge and ability to apply GLP (Good Laboratory Practices) and non-GLP test methods in Analytical Chemistry. In some instances when these don’t exist, the person will be required to develop and apply new test methods.
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Analytical Responsibilities: Work under the guidance of the Senior Analytical Chemist to perform the following tasks.
- Develop analytical methods for use in R&D analytical lab and Quality Control manufacturing labs
- Perform method validation for new and existing analytical methods
- Work closely with Formulators to analyze samples and support formulation development
- Process and report data for analytical results
- Maintain and standardize active ingredients analytical standards
- Troubleshoot and maintain all analytical laboratory instrumentation
- Partner and collaborate with project teams to identify analytical needs and deliver solutions
- Effectively communicate and document progress of projects and timelines to diverse team members and stakeholders
- Represent the analytical team on cross-functional project teams
- Assist in filing and organization of GLP training files
- Assist in the review and writing of GLP SOPs; potentially taking over the role of SOP Coordinator
- Act as the back-up archivist for GLP archival and storage
- Perform peer reviews as needed on required documentation (GLP notebooks, Protocols, Final reports)
- Assist the GLP Study Director as needed on crucial projects
- Learn and develop measurement methods for characterizing the physical properties of formulations and delivery system output including sprays and aerosols
- Surface tension and wetting measurements
- Characterization of sprays including coverage and particle size measurements
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PROFILE
- Master's degree in Analytical Chemistry preferred. Additional degree in Physical Chemistry is a plus.
- 3-5 years of hands-on experience in a laboratory environment dealing with most traditional analytical chemistry equipment. Knowledge and experience using physical-chemical equipment is a plus.
- Background of work in consumer goods industry would be strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of laboratory operations, equipment, and safety requirements
- Hands-on experience and interpretation knowledge on analytical equipment/testing equipment such as GC, HPLC, Titrators
- Strong understanding of GLP requirements
- Knowledge in optical microscopy/SEM, particle sizers such as Malvern is a plus
- Understanding of principles of formulation development and testing
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Ability to think creatively and overcome obstacles
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, flexibility in shifting among projects.
- PC skills (spreadsheet, word processing, presentations)
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to research and write scientific substantiation documents
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization
- 60-70% lab environment
- 20-30% office environment
- 5-10% travel
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.