We are seeking an R&D Associate Staff Member – Separations Chemist who will focus on basic and applied research directed to supramolecular chemistry and ion separations. This position resides in the Chemical Separations Group in the Separations & Polymer Chemistry Section, Chemical Sciences Division, Physical Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, the candidate will be responsible for delivering high impact research on the development of novel molecules, materials, and methods for ion recognition and separations. The candidate will be very closely working with specialists in synthesis, separations chemistry, theory, spectroscopy, and materials characterization.
- Participate in project planning and execution
- Develop novel ligand systems for improved ion separation and carbon capture
- Perform hands-on synthesis and characterization (e.g., using, NMR, FT-IR, UV-Vis spectroscopies, X-ray crystallography etc.) of organic compounds/materials
- Employ various separation techniques such as crystallization, solvent extraction, ion exchange, nanofiltration
- Present and report research results at the project, group, PI meetings and national conferences
- Publish scientific results in high-impact peer-reviewed journals in a timely manner
- Ensure compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements
- Maintain strong dedication to the implementation and perpetuation of values and ethics
- A PhD degree in Chemistry or a related discipline and at least two years of post-PhD experience
- Background in chemical separations
- Expertise in at least one separation technique, such as crystallization, liquid-liquid extraction, ion exchange, or membranes
- Proficiency in synthetic organic chemistry and organic compound isolation/purification (e.g., column chromatography, crystallization, distillation, sublimation, etc.) and characterization (e.g., NMR, UV-VIS, FT-IR and Raman spectroscopies)
- Experience with determination of binding constants by NMR, UV-VIS, or potentiometric titrations
- Proficiency in structural characterization by single-crystal and powder X-ray diffraction
- Experience with photochemical transformations of organic compounds
- Experience with colloidal systems such as micelles, vesicles, and other self-assembled structures
- A record of productive and creative research proven by publications in high-impact peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
- Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.