Position title: Assistant Professor Percent time: 100% Anticipated start: July 1, 2022 or later
Open date: October 12th, 2021
Next review date: Friday, Nov 12, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Thursday, Mar 31, 2022 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the level of Assistant Professor. The department is seeking applicants whose expertise and interests lie in Biomaterials/Materials. We welcome applications from candidates of diverse and interdisciplinary scientific backgrounds, including, but not limited to, the design and synthesis of soft materials, conjugated polymers, polyelectrolytes, functional materials, bio-inspired materials, functional molecular assemblies, sequence-specific polymers, enzymatic polymerization, biomolecular materials, biomacromolecules, and biosynthesis of materials and biological/biomimetic applications.
Responsibilities of faculty members include teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels, recruitment, supervision, and mentor-ship of graduate students, participation in university service and professional activities, and the development of an actively funded research program of the highest quality.
Successful candidates may have a record of collaborative research, and will be able to leverage synergies within and between the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and sister departments, and units such as Chemical Engineering, Materials, Mechanical Engineering, the Marine Science Institute, and the Center for Bioengineering.
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, and service as appropriate to the position. Successful candidates for faculty positions will demonstrate evidence of a commitment to equity and inclusion in their application materials, including the Diversity Statement.
Basic qualifications (required at time of application)
Applicants must have completed all requirements for a PhD (or equivalent) except the dissertation in the chemical, biological or material sciences by the time of application
Additional qualifications (required at time of start)
The PhD (or equivalent) should be conferred by the anticipated appointment start date.
Candidates with postdoctoral experience will be given preference. A demonstrated record of excellence in research, and a record of (or potential for) outstanding teaching are desired. Applicants with expertise and proposed research programs that broadly align with design and synthesis of soft materials, conjugated polymers, and bio-inspired materials are preferred. The University is especially interested in candidates who have a record of collaborative research.
• Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
• Cover Letter
• Statement of Research - Provide a most notable research achievement as a graduate, as a postdoc and as a tenure track faculty member (if applicable), as well as plans for a future research program, including how you see yourself fitting in with the department, research agenda, and who you would like to collaborate with at UCSB should you be hired. (~ 4 pages)
• Statement of Teaching - Provide your teaching and mentoring experience, teaching methods for undergraduate and graduate students, courses that you can teach, courses that you plan to develop, and your mentoring philosophy. (~ 2 pages)
• Sample Publication #1 - First sample publication, with 1 paragraph explaining the novelty or impact of the publication.
• Sample publication #2 - Second sample publication, with 1 paragraph explaining the novelty or impact of the publication.
• Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Statement addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and/or service. (~1 page)
• 3-5 letters of reference required
Provide the names and contact information for 3-5 references and request letters of reference within the system in order to complete the application requirements.
Apply link: https://apptrkr.com/2560369
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to comply with the University of California SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program Policy https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/5000695/SARS-CoV-2_Covid-19. All Covered Individuals under the policy must provide proof of Full Vaccination or, if applicable, submit a request for Exception (based on Medical Exemption, Disability, and/or Religious Objection) or Deferral (based on pregnancy) no later than the applicable deadline. For new University of California employees, the applicable deadline is eight weeks after their first date of employment. (Capitalized terms in this paragraph are defined in the policy.)
Santa Barbara, California