Postdoctoral Research Scholar: Medicinal Chemistry Knowledge Center at Stanford ChEM-H
Position Summary: The ChEM-H Medicinal Chemistry Knowledge Center (MCKC), led by Dr. Mark Smith, is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Scholar to join our team. Your work will focus on the design and synthesis of small molecule drug prototypes for biochemical and biological evaluation. Though you will be primarily based in the new Stanford ChEM-H MCKC laboratory, you will be a key team member of an exciting collaboration with biologists and/or physician scientists in the Stanford School of Medicine with the ultimate goal of translating the teams research to address an unmet medical need.
In this role, you will:
● Design research approaches for a major portion of the project, including the design, synthesis, purification and characterization of small molecule drug prototypes that are suitable for biological evaluation..
● Maintain detailed records of experiments.
● Develop a thorough understanding of drug screening, in vitro pharmacokinetic characterization, molecular modeling and data mining.
● Participate in the preparation of written documents, including draft manuscripts and research proposals.
● Attend, present and participate in regular project team meetings.
● Provide mentoring to graduate and undergraduate students in the MCKC.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
● Doctoral degree in synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry.
● Willingness to learn new techniques.
● Demonstrated ability to apply theoretical knowledge of science principals to problem solve work.
● Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
● Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance.
● Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work in a timely manner.
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
● Flexibility, eagerness to learn new analytical skills under supervision and apply those skills to accurately perform work as needed.
School/Unit Description: Stanford ChEM-H is a new interdisciplinary institute focused on connecting Chemistry, Engineering, and Medicine for Human Health. The institute was founded as a joint venture of the Schools of Medicine, Engineering, and Humanities and Sciences. The proximity of world-class biologists, chemists, engineers, and clinicians at Stanford presents a unique opportunity to study human biology at a molecular level, to translate this knowledge into groundbreaking products and services that promote healthy living, and to educate a new cadre of “physician-scientist-engineers” who will lead a rapidly evolving industry. The ChEM-H Knowledge Centers connect researchers with talented scientists, tools, and techniques in medicinal chemistry, metabolomics, macromolecular structure, and high throughput screening. learn more at https://medchem.stanford.edu or write directly to email@example.com and include a copy of your resume and a research summary.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.